Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2003, 09:03 AM

Default DVD Software

I finally made a choice on a DVD burner (Pioneer DVR-106). Now does anyone know of any decent DVD burning software besides the high end stuff like Final Cut Pro? Every piece of software I see is for XP and none for Mac
Old 11-06-2003, 09:10 AM

Default Re: DVD Software

try iDVD, you may buy the ´Update´ from apple or look on ebay for it.
PS: there in no real ´update´, it installs the complete App. it just won´t run without a Pioneer DVD.
cost aobut $30-50 i don´t know right know. iMovie and Quicktime Pro ($35 or so) are also worth consideration for FX and format conversion.

best
Old 11-06-2003, 09:15 AM

We've been using Toat 5 titanium with the superdrive and are 100% satisfied.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:28 AM

I've also been using Toast Titanium. Works fine.

BTW, Final Cut is video editing software. To merely archine on DVD, you don't need FCP, Premiere or Avid. Titanium is only 79 bucks; FCP is a thousand, the Avid stuff is over a thousand, and I'm not even sure you can author DVDs, let alone burn them.

If you want to AUTHOR (not burn) DVDs for playback on DVD players or DVD-ROM drives, you need DVD AUTHORING software, not video editing software. Authoring them, however, is not the same as burning them. It is just creating the files, menus, etc. You might try DVD Studio Pro 2.0 --OR-- if you buy a LaCie DVD burner, it comes with some free software, captyDVD, which is quite adequate for simpler stuff. But I digress...

To simply archive data, Toast Titanium is very easy to use -- almost as simple as burning a CD with two extra steps. You don't need authoring software to archive data. However, older versions of Toast and Toast Lite (as well as most CD burning software out there) cannot burn DVDs. You need Titanium 5.2 (which can also burn CDs).
Old 11-06-2003, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the advice guys I guess I should have stated my purpose. I'm looking to take small video out of iMovie or some other capture software and make DVDs that will play on my player. I just wasn't sure what iDVDs capabilities were
Old 11-06-2003, 03:28 PM

Anybody know anything about the new Toast 6 Titanium? Seems to me I would be able to edit my video in iMovie and then burn my DVD video in Toast 6. Is this assumption correct?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:39 AM

bump (I know. I think bumps are obnoxious too, but I need the answer before I spend a bunch of money )
Old 11-07-2003, 03:04 PM

As far as I know, u should be able to edit your movies with iMovie and burn them with iDVD. That's if you burner is fully supported with your mac os. 106 is not (I think). It might be if you set it as a master and your standard cdr/dvd rom as slave, but again I am not 100% sure. check www.xlr8yourmac.com for more tricks on this. What works for sure is to edit your movies in Final Cut Pro or express, or imovie, premiere... and export it as a DV movie, open it in a QT player pro and export it as a mpeg2 file, then you need DVD Studio Pro to finaly make your DVD, build disc and burn it with toast. This whole story could be much shorter if I tell you that with toast 6 you could do all of this together, just with less possibilities. good luck
Old 11-07-2003, 03:11 PM

You can actually burn from DVDs within OSX using Disc Copy on 10.2 or Disc Utility in 10.3 Check your Utilities folder. Just create an image, fill it up and burn away.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:22 PM

iDVD should be on your Jaguar's cd (if you use Os X, obviously). Launch Software Restore, then choose iDVD. It's free and it should be good enough for your purposes. Be sure you have enough free space on your hd: it requires approx. 1.5 Gb