Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-13-2016, 08:46 PM

Default How to Make my western digital external Hard Drive an “Audio Record Volume” in Pro To

I was a Cubase user for years and now have switched to Pro tools and can not get started because I can't figure out How to Make my western digital external Hard Drive an “Audio Record Volume” in Pro Tools 8 LE. I am using Windows 7 and Mbox2 mini. I go to the workspace and right click to change from T to R or P and it won't change from T. Any tips and help will be appreciated
Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 PM

Default Re: How to Make my western digital external Hard Drive an “Audio Record Volume” in PT

The file system on the drive volume is NTFS? Pro Tools is set to run as Administrator?
Old 03-13-2016, 09:39 PM

Default Re: How to Make my western digital external Hard Drive an “Audio Record Volume” in Pr

Thanks for your assistance. yes, it is showing NTFS. I don't know about pro tools being the administrator. how do I verify that?
Old 03-13-2016, 09:53 PM

Default Re: How to Make my western digital external Hard Drive an “Audio Record Volume” in Pr

Setting run as Administrator is a standard step you should have done as a part of the Pro Tools systems optimization. It's just set in the Windows properly box for the application, and you can always Google how to do that. But even better, start at the "Help Us Help You" link up the top of this page, or the install documentation for Pro Tools, and follow the optimization instructions. You might as well get all this set up properly now.

I have no strong belief this is the cause of your problems, but just something to exclude for now.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:55 PM

Also make sure the drive itself is writable (e.g. your user can drag and drop files onto the drive).
Old 03-14-2016, 09:26 AM

And what kind of WD drive is it? A Passport drive is not going to be the best for Pro Tools at all. You want a Western Digital Caviar Black, 64 mb Cache, 7,200 RPM drive using eSATA if possible. No Green or Blue drives.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-14-2016, 09:28 AM

and make sure the drive is done in BASIC format. Right-click on My Computer and select Manage. Next window select Disk Management. Once all the disks appear, look in the left-most box for the words BASIC or DYNAMIC. If you see DYNAMIC, that drive needs to be reformatted as BASIC(Pro Tools will not write to a DYNAMIC drive)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-05-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardez View Post
I can't figure out How to Make my western digital external Hard Drive an “Audio Record Volume” in Pro Tools 8 LE. I am using Windows 7 and Mbox2 mini. I go to the workspace and right click to change from T to R or P and it won't change from T. Any tips and help will be appreciated
PT 8 doesnt like guid global partition tables. Look in disk administrator properties to see if your audio disk is using mbr or gpt.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 AM

A year later I sure hope he sorted that out

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————