Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2003, 07:16 PM

Default a number of mastering/bounce questions

I'm doing an arrangement of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring (a big orchestral piece) for guitar, bass and percussion. It has several parts, as orchestral pieces do. I myself have it broken it into ten sessions. When I finish each session, how do I fit them all together into one waveform? I'm thinking this is how:
My sessions are 44Khz and 24 bit. I can bounce each part using 44Khz and 24 bit. (is there a practical difference between bouncing and bussing the mix onto another track?)
Then I take the bounces and create a new 44Khz 24bit session, arrange the bounces how I want them, then make a master fader, put on a dither insert, and bounce the pieces onto a 44.1Khz, 16 bit bounce, and burn it.
And, this being digital, and ignoring issues of truncation, I'm not losing sound quality cuz of all the bouncing right?
ALSO, if I take it to a mastering studio, in what form do they most commonly want your creation?
Old 01-12-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Re: a number of mastering/bounce questions

oops, I think my sessions are the one higher number from 44.1, what is it 48Khz, anyway, I don't think the questions change.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:34 PM

I haven't used it, but search for WavGlue. It should do what you need and it's free!
Old 01-12-2003, 08:40 PM

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do...but why bounce when you can just import the wavefiles from your previous sessions and mix/bounce just once?
Old 01-13-2003, 06:59 AM

i acutally understand what you are asking, and yes... what you are suggesting makes sense. go for it. as an alternative to bouncing, you could bus to another track, and export that file.

as far as mastering, call the mastering house you intend on using and ask them what they prefer.

I usually bring 96k/24bit mixes as AIFF files. or half inch tape. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by dummy20707:
I'm doing an arrangement of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring (a big orchestral piece) for guitar, bass and percussion. It has several parts, as orchestral pieces do. I myself have it broken it into ten sessions. When I finish each session, how do I fit them all together into one waveform? I'm thinking this is how:
My sessions are 44Khz and 24 bit. I can bounce each part using 44Khz and 24 bit. (is there a practical difference between bouncing and bussing the mix onto another track?)
Then I take the bounces and create a new 44Khz 24bit session, arrange the bounces how I want them, then make a master fader, put on a dither insert, and bounce the pieces onto a 44.1Khz, 16 bit bounce, and burn it.
And, this being digital, and ignoring issues of truncation, I'm not losing sound quality cuz of all the bouncing right?
ALSO, if I take it to a mastering studio, in what form do they most commonly want your creation?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 01-13-2003, 05:47 PM

I thought about importing all the wave files and making one huge session, but that would be too much to handle. I'm opting to do it in pieces and stick them together.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:14 PM

Hi 20707.

If you are having this mastered externally, I would keep everything undithered at 24 bits. The mastering engineer will do the final bit reduction and assembly. He/she can also time the gaps between tracks to suit the sections in this work.

If you were doing it yourself, you can either dither and reduce to 16 bit either..

a)one section at a time, or...

b)import all ten sections into a new session, btd, and then use a program that allows you to add pq code to the final file so the CD has 10 (or fewer) tracks.

I admire your project, I hope it goes well.

I have actually performed the original on a couple of occasions.

Best regards,

Haigbabe