Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Default Constantly Losing Communication with Command 8

Hi,

just throwing this out there....I did a search first and nothing came up that resolved my issue.

I have a Command 8, on a Mac Pro Dual 2.6 running PT|HD 2 ACCEL, v7.3.1cs7 and OS 10.4.9.

I lose communication with my Command 8 maybe 6-8-10 times a day. To the point where I shut it off. I have reinstalled PT, trashed prefs and databases, I even replaced the USB cable. It is not plugged into a HUB. The only thing I can think of is the unit is self has a loose USB connection.

Any Ideas before I call Tech Support?

Thanks!
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Constantly Losing Communication with Command 8

Ok, SO I found the V02.01.02 update and I ran that. I shut off unit and booted it up. We shall see if that solves my issue.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Ive had a buddy lose connection with a 002 rack unit because the "monster" firewire cable was so bulky that it pulled on the connection and it would lose communication. my 2cents
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 PM

Are there any other devices on your USB chain? You might need a powered USB hub.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Are there any other devices on your USB chain? You might need a powered USB hub.
Hi.

Thanks for the response.

As I said in my first post, this is not going into a hub of any kind, but straight into the computer's USB connection.

The other things attached are my keyboard, my midi interface (an M audio 4x4) and my ilok.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 07-22-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post

As I said in my first post, this is not going into a hub of any kind, but straight into the computer's USB connection.

The other things attached are my keyboard, my midi interface (an M audio 4x4) and my ilok.
That was my point... you may be plugging to many things into the USB chain... you might need a powered hub.

I have almost the same setup as you ... keyboard, ilok, Digi MIDI interface.. and Control 8. That is to many devices for the on board power in the USB chain to reliably handle. Griffin makes a good hub... can get you the model # if you like... only $30 or $40.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post
That was my point... you may be plugging to many things into the USB chain... you might need a powered hub.

I have almost the same setup as you ... keyboard, ilok, Digi MIDI interface.. and Control 8. That is to many devices for the on board power in the USB chain to reliably handle. Griffin makes a good hub... can get you the model # if you like... only $30 or $40.

Hope this helps...
Ah, I see what you mean. I will put everything except the Command|8 on a powered Hub and see if that works. Thanks.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 AM

You might also want to try putting everything on the powered buss... ie: USB from Mac to hub, then USB 4 outs from the hub to your devices (keyboard, mouse/trackball, C|8, and MIDI interface). This setup is very stable and works great for me...

Best regards

Ray
Old 08-07-2008, 10:36 PM

Default Stating the obvious

Forgive me if I am, but have you set the correct channels in the preferences?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Avid

I would think that computer would have more than adequate power for those devices. I've got nearly the same machine - dual 3.0 - and have the same Midisport 4x4, iLok, Command|8 and Axiom keyboard and have never seen the C|8 drop offline.

Do you possibly have any wireless devices enabled or other software/utilities running in the background? Is there any chance the USB cable is getting knocked loose?

I don't want to discourage you from trying a powered hub - the Griffin one that Ray recommends is excellent - however I do find it curious that this would be a USB power issue.