Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2010, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Change buffer on 3rd party, Restart required?!?!?

Okay.. making sure I understand this correctly:

With Windows 7 and a 3rd party I/O, changing the buffer size will require a save, quit, relaunch of PT9 every single time??? IOW, this is like having a 10-speed bicycle that one is only able to switch gears manually, and only when stopped?

Yet it works fine with Mac? Core Audio is fine, but ASIO is borked?

(sigh) I am beginning to hate Avid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:

With Windows 7 and a 3rd party I/O, changing the buffer size will require a save, quit, relaunch of PT9 every single time??? IOW, this is like having a 10-speed bicycle that one is only able to switch gears manually, and only when stopped?

i could see it being annoying, but i dont really change them much. live on 64 for the most part. bump it up to 1024 when i mix. i know your not a newby by any definition of the word, but i couldnt imagine you changing it that much either. hopefully it will be resolved sometime in the near future (along w a few other things...)

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-26-2010, 07:36 PM

If nothing else, it is principle. It should work, period. If it works for OSX, and if it works with every other app I have ever tried.. it is simply another instance of Avid being a nail my eyelid catches on while falling from a building.

If it were another app, I would not have issue actually, which makes it. ironic?
I can work with a 64 sample buffer with no issue in other apps. With PT9, and since I wanted to use it for composing as well as tracking/mixing (ya know, "creative" stuff ), VI's must work. Since PT9 retains previous RTAS issues with VI's (among other things), this means that error messages will occur. These "errors" require one of two methods of resolution: Replace the VI with some other "friendlier" VI or audio render (hehehe.. try to do that with expediency in PT.. lol..), OR.. change buffer. Either way, this is a killer of "idea flow." I do not want to work with a 128 buffer, and no way will I compromise with a 256 buffer; I refuse to start with a 128 simply because the app is borked. I would rather go back to my Tascam Portastudio cassette. PT9 is causing acid reflux for me. Ugh.

It is so funny that PT is the one remaining app on the market that has a workflow I love.. heck, like enough to spend an entire day with while trying to translate "mind music" to actual played music. Cosmic joke is, other apps I dislike immensely in comparison seem to work incredibly well, while the one app I love is broken in so many ways, and has no real sign of being fixed in my life time.
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 AM

They need time... time......time.......time.........
Meanwhile the world continues to turn. PT9 is nothing but a test and session playback app, not a production tool here.

We can only wait for something to improve if Windows 7 and Protools is to be our choice. It may very well be that they'll try to catch up in other areas first, making the user base wait even longer for something better.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 AM

welcome to the world of PT killing creativity!! I hadn't wrote a song in about 2 years since i moved to Pt8. Now i'm slowly getting into it again with 9 but there's still the odd lock up or random quit. Hopefully all of these issues will be addressed in the next update

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM

I have a different but similar and possibly related issue: When using my 003 as the interface for Reaper, the program locks up if I change the buffer, and I have to restart Reaper. I figured it was the 003 drivers, but maybe there is something else going on.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Avid

Quote:

No, this is not the case - at least not with every 3rd party interface.

The problem is partially Pro Tools, partially the device drivers. The restart is only required in cases where Pro Tools gets an ASIO reset request from the driver. Why some devices require this we have not had time to fully investigate, but it's something we're looking into. Since some devices do these reset requests, we're also looking at way to optimize Pro Tools streaming so that it can handle these reset requests gracefully.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM

On my system (Win764, Lynx AES16e) PT doesn't force me to restart, but audio is gone until I do. I see the meters moving and everything, but no audio until I re-launch. Not a huge problem but slightly annoying.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 PM

I don't have this problem with my profire 2626, and I don't think I do when using my Line 6 XT live. (but I'll test that), I also have no problem using ASIO4all with my laptop speakers. Must be certain hardware specific problems, that PT is having issues with. It would be nice to have a list of specific problems with interfaces that are known. I think there was a list at the Air Users Blog.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
No, this is not the case - at least not with every 3rd party interface.

The problem is partially Pro Tools, partially the device drivers. The restart is only required in cases where Pro Tools gets an ASIO reset request from the driver. Why some devices require this we have not had time to fully investigate, but it's something we're looking into. Since some devices do these reset requests, we're also looking at way to optimize Pro Tools streaming so that it can handle these reset requests gracefully.
Ahhh. Okay.
Since the device I am using (MR816 CS) seems to have this "reset request," but since other apps do not *suffer* this particular result, it should be something that will be resolved? If yes, then CS update, or next dot ver? As it is, PT is currently unusable for me. (not too much of a biggie.. been unusable for me for over a year now)
Quote: