Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2001, 10:24 AM

Default What are you using on your master fader during mixdown?

I'm just curious what you are using on your master fader during mixdown and where you have your level approx. set at (how much headroom you like to leave). For example, are you applying any subtle compression, dither, or effect or only during the mastering process. I mixed a song down last night and put a slight bit of comp. on the mix and had the level at +3db according to the dynamics of the song. Just a little insight into how everyone likes to work. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2001, 10:40 AM

Default Re: What are you using on your master fader during mixdown?

About the only thing I put on my master fader during final mixdown is Waves L1 and maybe a four band eq if a frequency is REALLY bothering me. I've messed around with the C4 once or twice. I usually just try to get a good hot (loud) mix and fix any problems in the individual tracks.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:07 AM

H-Man,
For me it depends on where I'm going with mixdown data.

For a CD
1) Maybe a limiter to boot the level if it's not quite high enough.
2) Maybe a compressor if I've looked at the mix before and think the average volume isn't high enough.
3) A Dither set up for 16 bit.

For a MP3

1 & 2 above for the same reasons, but no Dither.

OTHER - A couple of times I've put a Digi-Verb set at about 10% wet just to soften the sound a little bit, but that was a special case on some live music.

I'm only using the Digi plug-ins on a regular basis right now. I will be changing this in the near future, I hope...

Mark
Old 11-30-2001, 02:31 PM

Usually I only use the stock RTAS limiter. Adjust to fit.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:15 PM

I don't put anything on the master during my preliminary mix-down. I may have a few individual comps on kik, snare or bass, usually vox, but I have this philosophy that if you don't have to ride faders (automate), then you are over-compressing. After my initial mixdown,II import the new dual-mono file and I'll do one of 3 things, depending on how badly I mixed in step one (lol). My current fave is to route the stereo mix through my FF Penta, with its tube emulation switched on, bringing that into an aux input, then sticking a Ren EQ on the master followed by an L1. I can then Pump the Mix with the compressor, subtly pull out any eq probs, and limit the wave to 0.1 while dithering to 16, and noise shaping. When I'm happy with that I'll export as interleaved stereo-convert to 16 bit after bounce, and burn to disk. If the initial mix was really bad on some part I'll use a c4 to try to rein it in, though you can 'roll your own' multi-band compressor by using 1 bus, 3 returns, 3 eq's, and 3 compressors (but that's another story, actually it was recently in a post. I was suprised someone else was as fanatical as me to try this..) The multi-band could then be followed by the same eq and limiting plugs. Third, if I don't want a really over-squased mix (which is never these days..) I will forego the limiter and try comp. plus eq, plus automation, I did this recently on a classical piece.

RR
Old 12-02-2001, 01:39 PM

I agree with MikeD. a good limiter like waves L1. I would also add the S1 for the stereo effect. I'm new to the C4 but when i have used it on the MasterFader, I haven't gotten the results I expected. Honestly, expirement with different tools and use what is best for your taste or style of music.
Old 12-03-2001, 06:45 AM

I don't try and do a mastering job on my master fader- but I do certainly try and compress a bit. It's helpful when you mix to hear things "pulled together" which will cause you to balance things a bit differently.

So- generally a compressor or two (Fairchild or LA-2) Followed by an L1, then dither if necessary.