Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-06-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Computer does not recognize Mbox

I have an Imac G4 700 mhz 512 RAM w/ OS X 10.2.4 installed. I recently received the Pro Tools 6.0 upgrade for Mbox. However I am unable to load Pro Tools because the computer nor pro tools recognizes the Mbox. All the lights are lit up on the front face plate of the Mbox. When I go to the Apple System Profiler and then into "Devices and Volumes", the computer labels the Mbox as "unknown." So I have a suspicion that this is probably some firmware issue rather than a Pro Tools 6.0 issue. What should I do to update the Mbox so it can be recognized by my computer? I have tried several different USB cables and have made sure that the cables are secured tightly in each of the jacks.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Computer does not recognize Mbox

Check out the downloads for Mbox on this site.

They helped me for a while.

Now I have an intractable 6009 error (tried everything).

Seeya

Mark
Old 03-10-2003, 11:03 PM

Perc

Did you try this one?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-11-2003, 05:52 PM

Thanks Rail.

Yep tried that one.

Even tried putting the digidesign control panel into the disabled control panels.

No luck.

I think I have eliminated all the software possibilities. I cant think of anything that could be hogging the Mbox and not letting Protools use it. Tried all the updates and the firmware bug fixes etc. Initialised the drive, reinstalled everything up to OS9.2.2, PTLE 5.2.1, mbox firmware 2.0 etc.

I have also checked as much hardware as possible. The mBox USB light comes on, there is phantom power, the inputs will accept audio (the peak LEDS work, the audio out works (ie: I can hear what is going into the mbox via the outputs connected to powered speakers). The headphone jack and volume works.

Protools just wont talk to the Mbox. And the frustrating thing is that the whole system was working fine until I decided to create a super slim set of extensions so I could edit to a quicktime movie (and after that project I began to have problems and figured a reinitialation and reload was in order anyway).

So...

I reckon the USB signal is getting to the mBox but not returning. I have tried another USB cable (the one off my zip drive). Still no luck.

So...

I reckon there is something inside the mBox that has gone kapput!.

I have been advised to ring Tech Support and now that I am sure I have eliminated everything and wont look like a dope I guess I will have to do so.

I sure hope there isnt some huge charge required for phone support!

Anyway...

The saga continues. Still using 001 G4 rig at work with no hassles at all. Pity I cant work at home at the moment.

Seeya

Mark
Old 03-11-2003, 06:13 PM

No.. phone support should be free if it's not a user error (I believe).. I've never been charged on the occasions I've called.

There was an article in the monthly email from Digi which just arrived today with this:

Q: Why is there an "unable to acquire hardware" error when launching Pro Tools LE 6.0?

A: It's possible that another MIDI application is loading our MIDI driver, which in turn will acquire DirectIO leaving the digi hardware unavailable to Pro Tools. AMS, for instance, will launch the MIDI Server, which will acquire DirectIO making PT unable to use the hardware. Make sure that the "MIDI Server" process is not running when launching Pro Tools LE 6.0. You can also remove the MIDI driver "DIOOSXMIDIDriver.plugin" from the /Library/Audio/MIDI_Drivers/ folder to see if this solves the error. Please check the Digidesign User's Conference or Answerbase for other helpful information.

But, not sure if it's something that applies to you.

Good luck.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-26-2003, 06:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

In the end I sent the box back to the retailer.

They tested the Mbox and got the same error.

It was a relief that it wasnt user error causing the 6009.

The retailer was very helpful. And, by the time I had sent the thing away, I was cool, calm and collected (vented my frustration on the DUC...sorry about that!) and it all went very well.

Sound Devices in Sydney Australia were very helpful. In particular Cameron (who tragically was killed, along with his family in a car crash recently). Traffic..its gotta be fixed somehow. SARS is not even on the radar compared to the deaths caused by crazy traffic!!!!

Anyway...human tragedy aside.

My Mbox is working fine again. And thanks to Sound Devices in Sydney once again for their help.