Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-19-2023, 05:45 AM

Default UVI Falcon guru wanted

Long time user of Falcon and I know there's a fair few here as well. I normally don't have problems with this complex beast but recently I've come up with one. I have a goodly number of expansions from UVI themselves and have tried using them in self-made multis. No problem there except if I modify a program/instrument from an expansion by changing an effect in said instrument/program the changes aren't saved with the multi. Even if I do a specific save for said instrument/program the changes aren't saved and it's back to the way it was programmed from UVI.

Now if I create my own instrument programs, save them and use them in a multi and I make modifications to said instruments programs those changes are in the saved multi. I'm under the impression that a multi saves the state of the entire Falcon instance. Are the factory expansions locked so any changes can't be saved? I understand that you might not be able to overwrite the existing factory stuff but shouldn't one be able to modify and save to a new program/instrument and still have the original? Isn't that the whole point of 'save as'?

QAPLA!
Old 02-19-2023, 05:11 PM

Default Re: UVI Falcon guru wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Long time user of Falcon and I know there's a fair few here as well. I normally don't have problems with this complex beast but recently I've come up with one. I have a goodly number of expansions from UVI themselves and have tried using them in self-made multis. No problem there except if I modify a program/instrument from an expansion by changing an effect in said instrument/program the changes aren't saved with the multi. Even if I do a specific save for said instrument/program the changes aren't saved and it's back to the way it was programmed from UVI.

Now if I create my own instrument programs, save them and use them in a multi and I make modifications to said instruments programs those changes are in the saved multi. I'm under the impression that a multi saves the state of the entire Falcon instance. Are the factory expansions locked so any changes can't be saved? I understand that you might not be able to overwrite the existing factory stuff but shouldn't one be able to modify and save to a new program/instrument and still have the original? Isn't that the whole point of 'save as'?
Hey Jack,
Sorry it took me a while to get to this.... I have almost all UVI expansions and I get thrown off by the fact that some of the expansions (Drone for example) have their own FX sections in addition to the UVI Falcon Effects section.
Which expansions are you using so I can bring them up and try and work through it.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 02-20-2023, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
Hey Jack,
Sorry it took me a while to get to this.... I have almost all UVI expansions and I get thrown off by the fact that some of the expansions (Drone for example) have their own FX sections in addition to the UVI Falcon Effects section.
Which expansions are you using so I can bring them up and try and work through it.
No problem with taking time to get back to me. I literally just got a reply back from UVI support an hour ago. From what they told me it goes like this: it turns out that the effects that are built-in to a certain expansion are only editable from the expansion gui and not the effects tab in Falcon itself. For example if an expansion has a reverb control as part of the gui that control takes precedence over the same control in the effects section. In this case that would be the reverb mix control. They say it's that way because certain controls are part of the script for that particular expansion. It shouldn't matter where the script gets it's input from - gui front panel or the effect in the Falcon effects tab.

I find it strange that if you go to the effects tab in Falcon and change that mix control it doesn't reflect in the expansion's gui itself. I mean - you go to the effects tab and can make changes to all the other controls and they save correctly but you can't make a change to the mix control and have that save correctly? I shouldn't have to worry if things will save correctly when I make changes. Shouldn't have to go to the main expansion gui page to tweak the reverb mix. Same thing with other controls.

In my case I was working with the Energy expansion. But it happens in others as well.

Again thanks for getting back to me.

QAPLA!
Old 02-20-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
For example if an expansion has a reverb control as part of the gui that control takes precedence over the same control in the effects section. In this case that would be the reverb mix control.
I didn’t realize that! Thanks for posting their explanation. Not sure I am happy about it, but at least it confirms my suspicion and is something to be aware of when programming it.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 02-20-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
I didn’t realize that! Thanks for posting their explanation. Not sure I am happy about it, but at least it confirms my suspicion and is something to be aware of when programming it.
No problem. I'm not nuts about it. There's no reason I can think of that the script can't be changed to work logically. I've done enough programming to see it can be easily done.

QAPLA!