Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM

Default A Mic Pre That Will Improve my 003

I posted a related thread recently and I appreciate all the responses. If I understand people correctly, I can get an 8-channel pre for, say, my Akai MPC 3000 and plug all 8 drum outputs into the pre. This, in effect, gives me a total of 16 analogue inputs (counting the 8 on the 003). Is this correct? And, if necessary, could I record simultaneously into all 16? The Pre I'm looking at right now is the Presonus Digimax LT, which goes for around $600. Will this give me a noticeable improvement? I don't expect the 003 to suddenly sound like Abbey Road, just measurably better. I would love to hear from anyone, especially people who use the 003 in conjunction with a preamp. Also, very important to consider is that the bulk of my music is electronic, with very little live drum recording. And what vocals I do need, could go into one of the 003's 4 mic pres. Now that I think about it that way, might I be better off with a cheaper pre (8 channel)? I would probably just keep my MPC plugged into the pre for 90 percent of my recording. In other words, do pres improve the sound of drum machines? Finally, I do not have my heart set on the Presonus LT, rather, any pre in the same price range. Many thanks.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Default Re: A Mic Pre That Will Improve my 003

I'm not familiar with the Akai MPC 3000 and its outputs.
But the short answer to your question seems to be "yes".

After watching a friend use his 002 and the Presonus DigiMAX FS (and Mac G5) to record 16 tracks, I decided to invest around $500 on one.
Bought it late last year.
I've used it for several large projects with my 003 and my Mac laptop.
Works great every time and IMHO, it was money well-spent.

If you get one, you'll also need at least one fiber optic cable (to connect between the 003 and Presonus optical in/out) and one BNC cable (to connect between the 003 and Presonus word clock in/out).

That said, the Presonus may be out of your budget, but I swear by it.

My experience in audio and video production, you get what you pay for.
Don't buy cheap - get the best you can afford.
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 07-21-2009, 11:47 AM

I read your other post earlier and here is my take. My understanding is that your Akai MPC 3000 has line level outs which do not need Mic Pres to get into your 003. They can go into 1/4" TSR line level (DI) inputs on the 003. Mic Pres (using XLR connectors) are really for microphones. I have a DigiMax LT and it provides you with 8 more inputs using a Newtrik combo connector (XLR for mics and 1/4" TRS for line level. The impedence and gain is different for Microphones and line level sources so you really should use the correct line level connector (1/4" TSR) for your Akai MPC 3000 and other electronic music devices.

To reiterate:
1) Mics = Use Mic Pre inputs via XLR connectors
2) Electronic Instruments use line level inputs via 1/4" TRS connectors
(Akai MPC 3000, drum machines, synthesizers, rhythm machines)

Now about the sound quality of the DigiMax LT Mic Pres: I find that they are very close to the built-in mic pres in my Digi002. I use them with a vareity of mics and I am hard pressed to tell the difference. They are pretty transparent and truthful (if that is what you want). You'll need to look elsewhere if you want coloration on vocals.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 PM

The Digimax series of products has been a popular one for some time. In fact it was the release of the Digi001 that spawned the idea of the Digimax. The name Digimax came from the DIGI in the Digi001 and MAX to "maximize" the channel count. In that day it was simply known as the Digimax, but eventually a family of products has been brought forth that covers all kinds of features, needs, and price points. But with the exception of the Digimax96....that is, the DigimaxLT, the FS, and D8 models are the SAME pres and converters---just a different arrangement of the features and connections as well as panel layout. I have the DigimaxLT that I use going into a 96I/O in my live system, I've used Royer SF24's and Earthworks QTC40's through it with results that were far better than I expected. What I mean is, these are mics that show flaws---they are perfect microphones, IMHO, yet the pre performed at a level beyond what I expected. In my situation where everything is hard-wired, having the XLR jacks in the back were of key importance. The ability to also have control over phantom-power on a per channel basis is also of key importance to me. I don't need line inputs.....

However let's look at this from the view of a home studio or remote recording system. If you are using a patchbay system like I am, the LT model works wonderful! BUT if you're remote recording or you would like to make front-patch connections, then the DigimaxFS would be worth a look. Instead of rear XLR inputs, they are on the front---these are also combo connectors that allows for the use of 1/4" TS, TRS, or XLR inputs for balanced +4dB or microphone signal. The phantom power is selectable in groups of (4) rather than per channel but that's not much of an issue unless you're using non-active ribbon microphones. A great feature of the DigimaxLT model is that it's both an 8-channel A/D and an 8-channel D/A. And FYI the DigimaxD8 is just XLR input, no D/A and the phantom power connectors are on the back as well as the XLR jacks. Bug again, the same pres, same converters, etc.

It's really nice when a company builds a product that's the same, they just give you the configuration of what you need. The DigimaxFS has been such a popular product that it more or less has discontinued the LT model and at $200 cheaper. Based on the fact you have an MPC3000 with the 8-outputs that have a lower than normal gainstage, the FS would actually work better for you---allowing you to quickly patch in or out of it.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
A great feature of the DigimaxLT model is that it's both an 8-channel A/D and an 8-channel D/A.
I think you meant the Digimax FS (Not Digimax LT) has both an 8-channel A/D and an 8-channel D/A. The digimax LT only has 8-channels of A/D and no D/A.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Yes I'm sorry, I DID mean the FS! Thanks for the correction!