Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-22-2008, 02:09 AM

Default Digi EQ3: Output Level Increases Dramatically w/ High Pass

The following has occurred when using the High Pass Filter included in the Digidesign Eq3 plugin.

When I select the High Pass as one of my bands, I immediately see that the output meter of the plugin shoots up past that of the input.
This is without any additional adjustments of that band, any other band, or the input/output levels.

This has happened with tracks ranging from bass guitar (where there'd be a good deal of actual material roll-off going on [for experimenting with this occurrence]) to something like glockenspiel with very little to no content down below

Now I was under the impression that, if anything, I would see a level decrease coming out of the plugin after cutting off a good chunk of low end power.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Anyone have any ideas to why this would occur?

Thanks all
James
Old 04-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Digi EQ3: Output Level Increases Dramatically w/ High Pa

Go here, seventh post down - Paul Frindle.

Actually, read through the whole thing. We'll see you in the fall.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Go here, seventh post down - Paul Frindle.

Actually, read through the whole thing. We'll see you in the fall.
Yep, that sounds about right!

The crux of the matter is to keep the levels low. No sense pushing the meters toward the red on a DAW.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:21 PM

Great guys thanks for the help.
That post was very very interesting.

So basically, proper (or better, etc) gain staging for the digital realm wont prevent this plug-in resampline anomale from occuring, it'll just give you more headroom which will keep the content from clipping because of the boost associated with said resampling, yes?

I tried it out with the signal generator as suggested in the post and found that even just feeding white/pink noise at -12db into the eq, when you engage the filter, there is a definite level output increase, but plenty of headroom to keep you clear of clipping. Still seems a touch odd to me however, that even at -20 you still have that level increase at the meters.

Oh well, thanks again!
I'll fix my problem this time by just trimming back the input pot a touch.

James