Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 12-01-2021, 02:46 AM

Default Re: BURL ADC with ADAT connection into MTRX Studio

Hey guys, just to update.

Got the AVIO AES3 to DANTE conector and it is working FLAWLESS!

Tried 44.100 and 48.000hz sample rates for all the system and worked great.

Thank you all for the help.
Old 01-15-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post
That could work. However, be aware that the AVIO adapter, and many similar AES to Dante adapters, use samplerate conversion between AES and Dante.

Or as uptheoctave suggests, go for the B2 Dante option if you can get one.
I am interested in the MTRX Studio as well and would like to use my Burl B2 ADC with the MRTX Studio.

My concern is latency with the Dante connection from the Burl to the MTRX Studio. Would using the Burl Dante connection into the MTRX Studio Dante port have comparable latency as compared to Burl AES out into a different interface (such as a Prism Titan) that has AES in?
Old 01-15-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLocascio View Post
I am interested in the MTRX Studio as well and would like to use my Burl B2 ADC with the MRTX Studio.

My concern is latency with the Dante connection from the Burl to the MTRX Studio. Would using the Burl Dante connection into the MTRX Studio Dante port have comparable latency as compared to Burl AES out into a different interface (such as a Prism Titan) that has AES in?
Dante will have higher latency. Others can hopefully give you numbers.

My first question is do really need the Burl? The Matrix Studio converters are supposed to be pretty nice. Just KISS and get rid of the Burl?

I know you are constrained by the Burl TOSLINK not supporting ADAT and the MTRX Studio TOSLINK not supporting S/PDIF, or having TOSLINK on coaxial copper. But if I wanted a digital connection to the Studio with lowest possible latency I'd keep it as simple as possible and use an S/PDIF to ADAT converter. Not sure what current good products to look at are. I have multiple RME ADI-192 DD (and other RME format converters) so no end of conversion between all of ADAT, AES, S/PDIF, MADI, etc. I have found used ADI-192 DD in as new condition for ~$700-$800. Or maybe look for a used RME ADI-4 DD or Mutec MC-4.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Dante will have higher latency. Others can hopefully give you numbers.

My first question is do really need the Burl? The Matrix Studio converters are supposed to be pretty nice. Just KISS and get rid of the Burl?

I know you are constrained by the Burl TOSLINK not supporting ADAT and the MTRX Studio TOSLINK not supporting S/PDIF, or having TOSLINK on coaxial copper. But if I wanted a digital connection to the Studio with lowest possible latency I'd keep it as simple as possible and use an S/PDIF to ADAT converter. Not sure what current good products to look at are. I have multiple RME ADI-192 DD (and other RME format converters) so no end of conversion between all of ADAT, AES, S/PDIF, MADI, etc. I have found used ADI-192 DD in as new condition for ~$700-$800. Or maybe look for a used RME ADI-4 DD or Mutec MC-4.
I subscribe to the KISS approach, however, I really like the Burl converters for tracking, so I don't want to get rid of them.

Although it adds some latency, I'm thinking of using the Dante connection. A member on another forum reported he is getting 187 usec of latency using the Dante connection with a Focusrite converter going into the MTRX Studio. I don't think that little bit of extra latency would make much difference, IF the additional latency would be about the same with the Burl B2.