Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2021, 12:10 AM

Default Re: How to Open Pro Tools 10 Session in Pro Tools 2021.7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Yes. A 2021.7 gives the ability to open PT10 SESSIONS! Not to run PT v10! -just to be clear.
Oh, wow, thank you for clarifying that, Ben! Ok, so, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: I can open PT 10 sessions within PT 2021.7 on my Mac m1 Mini. However, if I wish to go back and edit stuff in a PT 10 session on my old iMac with PT 10 installed (my original purchase before this reinstatement), that old PT 10 version will no longer run at all even if I plug in my iLok 3 with my new PT 2021 license? (Sorry if it sounds a bit vague, but I do hope the question somehow makes sense.)
Old 08-28-2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoil the Child View Post
Oh, wow, thank you for clarifying that, Ben! Ok, so, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: I can open PT 10 sessions within PT 2021.7 on my Mac m1 Mini. However, if I wish to go back and edit stuff in a PT 10 session on my old iMac with PT 10 installed (my original purchase before this reinstatement), that old PT 10 version will no longer run at all even if I plug in my iLok 3 with my new PT 2021 license? (Sorry if it sounds a bit vague, but I do hope the question somehow makes sense.)
Yes. You lose the license to run previous versions when you do the reinstaintment thing. It sucks. But you CAN open sessions created as far back as v6 with the current version of PT, but of course, RTAS and AAX32 won't work.

About PT and AAX plugins going native M1, who knows? Might this be the bridge too far for Avid? I'm not very optimistic.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 08-28-2021 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:28 AM

Quote:
About PT and AAX plugins going native M1, who knows? Might this be the bridge too far for Avid? I'm not very optimistic.
I bet they have native PT and plugins in Engineering already, but what keeps them from releasing it are hardware drivers. It was just like that in the last transition from PPC to Intel. Some other company would just release the software asap, but Avid only supports it once they can support their best paying customers. Facts of life, and very understandable.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Yes. You lose the license to run previous versions when you do the reinstaintment thing. It sucks. But you CAN open sessions created as far back as v6 with the current version of PT, but of course, RTAS and AAX32 won't work.

Oh, wow, that really is unfortunate news for me. I guess I'll just need to go through my important PT 10 sessions, then, and convert all the midi tracks to audio since my PT 10 plugins are mostly RTAS and 32-bit. This transition is definitely going to be challenging, but I guess that's what I get for not having transitioned gradually through the years.

And yes, I hope they go the native M1 route soon, before my new system is rendered incompatible again, lol.

Thanks a lot again for your advice, Ben!
Old 08-28-2021, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Mabuti naman! Kumusta? Wonderful opening greeting! Thank you for your thoughts and advice!
Ayos lang ako.

Check your iLok License Manager. If your license only says "Pro Tools Perpetual", it opens versions from 12.6 until the version released before the RELEASE LIMIT date on details of your license. But if you have a license bundle that shows PT10/11/12 then it will obviously open older versions as well. I have no first hand experience when it happened, but will not question others who say their reinstatement have not given them old versions.

If your old machine can run PT 12.6 (compatibility info here) you can find it from Avid Download Center.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:54 AM

Quote:
my PT 10 plugins are mostly RTAS and 32-bit. This transition is definitely going to be challenging
Most plugins (not all) have been already converted to AAX 64bit and fortunately the settings are compatible. If you for example have RTAS Hybrid on your session, when you open the session on 64-bit PT and have AAX Hybrid, it will load just the same.

You need to list all your plugins, go to the vendors to see if you can get a free update or need to pay a fee for AAX upgrade. I hope you are not using so many plugins that were left behind and not make it into the 64-bit world.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I bet they have native PT and plugins in Engineering already, but what keeps them from releasing it are hardware drivers. It was just like that in the last transition from PPC to Intel. Some other company would just release the software asap, but Avid only supports it once they can support their best paying customers. Facts of life, and very understandable.

Yes, I really do hope they've started on something somehow so as to address this. I can only imagine the power of native M1 plugins. Can't wait!
Old 08-28-2021, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Ayos lang ako.

Check your iLok License Manager. If your license only says "Pro Tools Perpetual", it opens versions from 12.6 until the version released before the RELEASE LIMIT date on details of your license. But if you have a license bundle that shows PT10/11/12 then it will obviously open older versions as well. I have no first hand experience when it happened, but will not question others who say their reinstatement have not given them old versions.

If your old machine can run PT 12.6 (compatibility info here) you can find it from Avid Download Center.

Mabuhay! Thank you for that useful info and the link as well! That's something I have to definitely keep in mind during this transition. So many details to keep track of. Whew! Hopefully, it all goes well.

By the way, do you happen to be a Filipino living abroad? I'm assuming you based on your greeting.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Most plugins (not all) have been already converted to AAX 64bit and fortunately the settings are compatible. If you for example have RTAS Hybrid on your session, when you open the session on 64-bit PT and have AAX Hybrid, it will load just the same.

You need to list all your plugins, go to the vendors to see if you can get a free update or need to pay a fee for AAX upgrade. I hope you are not using so many plugins that were left behind and not make it into the 64-bit world.

That's great! Good to know that! All is not lost for me, lol. I have made a (long) list of my current plugins and apps but focused more on checking primarily for license and installation terms (yikes!). But you're right! I should go through everything again and check for the AAX availability. I really don't know why I didn't think of doing that, too, earlier. Thank you for the advice! Maraming salamat!
Old 08-28-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
By the way, do you happen to be a Filipino living abroad? I'm assuming you based on your greeting.
My wife is from Bohol