Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Default Switching protools from system disk to external hard drive -- need basic instruction

I've been using ProTools LE with an Mbox for a few years, recently got a new computer and installed v. 8.04 on my system disk -- I know, not recommended, and now that the internal hard drive is starting to get crowded I'm seeing why. I've saved up to buy a 2T external hard drive, and will be switching all my recording to that (and upgrading to v. 8.05). Does anybody know of a basic step-by-step instruction for doing this? For example, should I uninstall PT from my computer then reinstall on the hard drive? Or can I just drag and drop the folders? etc. -- I'm not even sure what questions to ask.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Switching protools from system disk to external hard drive -- need basic instruct

I'm afraid you got some bad information...

Actually, the Pro Tools program should be installed on your system disk.

It is the Pro Tools sessions you create that should be installed on a drive other than your system drive.

As far as existing sessions go, you can just move the folders to your new drive. It's been a while since I did that, but IIRC, when you first open an existing session, Pro Tools will want you to point all audio files to their new location. Perhaps someone who has recently moved some sessions can chime in with any corrections...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Switching protools from system disk to external hard drive -- need basic instruct

Bill is correct. Pro Tools(the program) should be installed on the C: drive. As for moving sessions to your new drive, there is the easy way, and the safe way. The safe way is to open the original session from the original drive and go to File>Save Session Copy and check the box for Copy All Audio Files. The easy way is to drag the original session folder to the new drive. That can work fine, as long as all your audio is where you THINK it is(sadly, this is not always true). To be doubly sure, copy(don't move) sessions to the new drive. Then disconnect the old drive and open each session from its new drive. Once each sessions opens and finds or relinks all the audio, then you can go back and delete the files from the original drive.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks, so this answers a basic question, the programs (including plug-ins?) stay on the c: drive, the recorded files go on the external drive. What about samples?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberg View Post
Thanks, so this answers a basic question, the programs (including plug-ins?) stay on the c: drive, the recorded files go on the external drive. What about samples?
That's correct. With desktop machines, many will add a 3rd drive for sample libraries. If you can't do that, put them on the C: drive. The idea is to let the recording drive(whether internal or external) do nothing but record(stream audio in/out of Pro Tools). Most desktop machines have space and hookups for several internal drives. That's the cheapest route, AND gives the best performance. Even iMacs can swap the optical drive for another internal recording drive(and external DVD-RW drives seem to work fine).

Back to the samples thing. I run ezdrummer and SD2. Ezdrummer only allows install to the system drive(AFAIK) and I have installed the SD2 libraries to a separate drive. Honestly, I can't say I notice any difference in performance. More expansive libraries with orchestral stuff might be a different story(my needs are simple)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave