Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-24-2022, 08:01 PM

Default PT12/Scarlett 2i2 Crash

I purchased a 3rd gen Scarlett 2i2 in 2020 and it has been working well until today. I have a Mac Book Pro 2017 (Monterey 12.2.1, 16GB) and I launched PT and started to record a new audio track on an existing project. While I was recording, the audio became garbled and stopped suddenly. PT threw a AAE 9060 error, so I increased the H/W Buffer Size from 128 to 256 samples. When I tried to record again, there was no sound coming through my headphones.

I closed Pro Tools and opened Audio MIDI Setup to test the 2i2 using the "Configure Speakers" button. No sound. I went back to PT and switched the Playback engine to the Mac standard "Built-in Output" and the sound played from the computer speakers as normal. Yay!

So I closed everything and reset my computer. After logging in, I went to Audio MIDI Setup and tested the 2i2 using the "Configure Speakers" button. Horrible static sound! Yay!

Then I launched PT, switched the Playback Engine to Scarlett 2i2 and expected everything to play, but there was no sound. Then, I went to Audio MIDI Setup and tried the Configure Speakers button a third time and no sound. So I upgraded FocusRite Control to 13.1, but no dice.

What can I do to get PT to play sound through my 2i2 again?
Old 07-24-2022, 09:29 PM

Default Re: PT12/Scarlett 2i2 Crash

Did something change? macOS update? drive or plugin updates?

Standard troubleshooting steps are under "Help us Help You" up the top pf every DUC web page. But I''ll walk you through stuff I'd focus on here...

You have to be super clear in Pro Tools what the playback engine is set to. Pro Tools can pick odd devices. I don't see you confirm what the playback engine is so lets start there.

Hold down the 'N' key as Pro Tools is starting up until the playback engine dialog appears and make sure the 2i2 is selected as the playback engine. And check in Setup>IO>{Input, Output, Bus} that things look correct.

The 2i2 should not have a problem with this, but make sure no other apps are using it as an audio device, including it is not the macOS default sound device or systems sound device (in Audio MIDI setup).

Next thing is trash prefs, just 'coz always trash prefs if unsure what is going on. Use Pete Gates PT Prefs tool to make that easy.

Maybe next check that the 2i2 driver is the latest version supported on the OS you are running. Much beyond that and you might do best to be in be in touch with Focusrite support. If Pro Tools works on Built-In Output I'm going to guess that the interface is the cause.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-24-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:49 AM

Thanks for a quick response! I confirmed that "Scarlett 2i2 USB" is my playback engine, I changed the Audio MIDI Setup settings so that Scarlett 2i2 USB is not macOS default sound device or systems sound device, and I trashed my PT preferences. (I used PT Prefs V 1.7.3 and trashed "Pro Tools Preferences (11+)"). Before this problem started, there weren't any OS or driver updates. As a first troubleshooting step, I upgraded from High Sierra to Monterey so that I could update FocusRite Control to 3.11.0

Following your suggestions helped temporarily. When I opened the PT project that I was working on, I was able to hear the recorded tracks through my 2i2.

However, I was unable to record an audio track using a microphone through my 2i2. I armed the track and started recording, but PT stopped 0:02 into the recording and threw an error (AAE - 6101). Then, after closing the error dialogue box, I was unable to hear anything through my 2i2.

So I increased the buffer size from 128 to 256 and reset my computer. After it reset, I was able to hear the recorded tracks through my 2i2. But when I tried to record, PT threw another (AAE - 6101) 2 seconds in.

Is 128 to 256 enough of an increase to help?
Old 07-27-2022, 09:27 AM

try this? https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Pro-Tools-Mac
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume