Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2021, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Big Sur on Intel Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone out there is successfully using Pro Tools Ultimate on an Intel Mac and any version of Big Sur?

Well this is obviously not recommended, many of our students upgraded to Big Sur and are now having issues with Pro Tools after being told verbally and in writing not to do that.

So if anyone is having success, please tell me your Pro Tools version and Big Sur OS version so that I can pass it along.

Thanks so much,

Buddy
PT Ult. 2020.11
OsCatalina
Intel i7
I decided to try it running a Intel Mac Pro but not the ultimate version. Runs fine. I use a TB2 apollo 8 and a dock and s1. No issues with PT but there are some disk copy bugs that hang my finder. But these are independant to PT and dont cause issues for me. Im indifferent to Big Sur to be honest and I turned off dark mode. Now mind you given everything I was not worried about doing an upgrade because I plan to upgrade the cpu and at that time I will flatten it and do a clean install. I think I will go back to an earlier version after but that remains to be decided when I get to it. Its good advice not to jump to the latest but if its on there its ok to maybe give it a try if you are not going to lose a lot of time. With a new system its not really much of a risk. On an older working system in a production environment I def would not do it. As someone said those sort of things can turn into a nightmare in a situation where you have real dollars at stake. Anyway....