Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-13-2020, 09:00 PM

Default Exporting all individual tracks with effects (including master)?

Hi Everyone,

I have a final project that has a bunch of midi tracks (with synths) that I converted to audio files within PT. On these audio tracks I have various effects applied. I also have various groups (instrument groups with additional effects applied, VCA channels, send with effects like reverbs, etc.). I also have master channel with some effects.

My question is, how do I export each single channel with all relevant effects applied including the master effects? Basically, I want multiple .wav files bounced onto my PC of each track so that someone could drag and drop them into a different DAW or even back into PT without needing the same plugins that I used. In the end, I would want someone to be able to import all these .wav files into their DAW and let them listen to exactly what they would hear if they were in my studio listening to this final projects with all effects applied, groupings, automation, etc.

I was wondering how one might do this.

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 12-13-2020, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Exporting all individual tracks with effects (including master)?

Hi, The simplest way would be to insert a bus for each track/channel that you want to create a wave file of, and rename the bus to the track name, make sure the bus level is at 0 and panning is correct, then select each buss as as the Mix Source in the Bounce Mix window by hitting the + button to add and select all the tracks you need bounced. You can bounce all the busses at the same time.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-14-2020, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Hi, The simplest way would be to insert a bus for each track/channel that you want to create a wave file of, and rename the bus to the track name, make sure the bus level is at 0 and panning is correct, then select each buss as as the Mix Source in the Bounce Mix window by hitting the + button to add and select all the tracks you need bounced. You can bounce all the busses at the same time.
This seems like a good time to use track freeze/commit. And then all the op has to do is to give his coworkers the frozen tracks.

QAPLA!
Old 12-14-2020, 07:07 AM

To be clear, I think the OP wants all effects committed to each individual track - these effects are shared by multiple tracks (master bus and also multiple send/return FX). In other words, they're essentially looking for a (stereo, I assume) stem of every track. I don't think either of the two suggested methods will work for this case.

If multiple tracks share the same set of effects then I don't believe there's a good way to handle this in PT or any DAW. You're gonna have to go through soloing each track and rendering. Only possibility would be something like Bounce Butler which may not save you that much time anyway depending on the exact number of tracks/sessions.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-14-2020, 07:42 AM

One more detail: If you master includes compression or limiting, those processes may not react the same with parts of the mix instead of the entire mix. Just something to be aware of

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-14-2020, 09:51 AM

There is no perfect way to do this, but what we do with stems here is bounce the mix up to each compressor insert on the master bus. For me, its a buss compressor and two limiters. Those 3 different mixes then feed the side chain of each of those comp/limters. Then just solo and bounce each stem.

You may have to adjust some of the limiter gains and time shift the tracks a little along the way, but this has gotten us 98% of the mix on stems.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
To be clear, I think the OP wants all effects committed to each individual track - these effects are shared by multiple tracks (master bus and also multiple send/return FX). In other words, they're essentially looking for a (stereo, I assume) stem of every track. I don't think either of the two suggested methods will work for this case.

If multiple tracks share the same set of effects then I don't believe there's a good way to handle this in PT or any DAW. You're gonna have to go through soloing each track and rendering. Only possibility would be something like Bounce Butler which may not save you that much time anyway depending on the exact number of tracks/sessions.
Well it depends on how much control is needed for each track as far as send effects levels. If you simply need a bounce of each channel as-is, then setting up busses and bouncing them will work. If you need individual tracks for each send sent to each aux track, then you'd have to either set up multiple aux tracks for each send, or bounce them down separately. Either way is going to be time consuming but not impossible.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
Old 12-14-2020, 04:38 PM

If you plan to bounce individual stems (drums, guitars, vocals, etc.) and want to have all stems imported in a new Session (dubbing stage) to get the same mixed sound, then you should not use any FX plugins on your SubMix Track or Master Fader Track. Especially Dynamics will screw up the balance if you solo individual stems when bouncing. There is just no way around it.

Stem bouncing is one of the biggest headaches in every DAW. You have to have a bullet-proof routing configuration especially when it comes to effect sent and effect returns. Sharing effect returns among different Stems works when you bounce each Stem separately, but in general, I would have dedicated effect returns for individual stems. CPU power in current computers should be ok to give you enough horsepower to do that.

That also lets you utilize the multiple Mix Source bouncing in the Mix Bounce Dialog to bounce multiple stems at the same time (depending on your routing configuration).
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 12-14-2020, 10:54 PM

Default Exporting all individual tracks with effects (including master)?

I always thought that this wasn’t possible. At least not with my workflow. I do a lot of sound design for film and would also like to bounce my tracks separately for the customer but my problem is, I have a multimaximizer or a finalizer at the end of the chain, to smooth the mix out and for me there is no way to play the tracks out separately so that when you play them back all together, they would sound the same as it did in the original mix. I could play them out one at a time but taking something away would cause the finalizer to react differently or is there a mistake in my thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copesetic View Post
I always thought that this wasn’t possible. At least not with my workflow. I do a lot of sound design for film and would also like to bounce my tracks separately for the customer but my problem is, I have a multimaximizer or a finalizer at the end of the chain, to smooth the mix out and for me there is no way to play the tracks out separately so that when you play them back all together, they would sound the same as it did in the original mix. I could play them out one at a time but taking something away would cause the finalizer to react differently or is there a mistake in my thinking?
Yeah I think that bouncing stems and pulling them back into another session will reproduce the mix only to a point - like any plugins on a master or aux channel where multiple signals are being processed together can't really be reproduced unless you sum them together in the same way and reapply the same plugins that were in the original session.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM