Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2021, 06:49 AM

Default Re: HEAT on Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore View Post
Hi Kyle,

I’d like to strongly state that this decision was awful. I 100% always use HEAT by default when I start any new tracking session. I sincerely hope AVID with fix this as I’m strongly regretting updating to the Hybrid Engine now.

Can't you just switch the HDX Hybrid mode back to HDX classic ,, your for tracking

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-26-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Can't you just switch the HDX Hybrid mode back to HDX classic ,, your for tracking
Can you elaborate on how to do that? I poked around and saw no such option.
Ross Martin Super Beast
Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz 16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.6
http://www.keith-moore.org
Old 11-26-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Can you elaborate on how to do that? I poked around and saw no such option.
I don't have HDX , so I am assuming you should to then be able to use Heat like you did before upgrading,, but its on the Playback Engine page a little check box that says something like "Enable Hybrid Engine " just uncheck it ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-26-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Kyle,

I’d like to strongly state that this decision was awful. I 100% always use HEAT by default when I start any new tracking session. I sincerely hope AVID with fix this as I’m strongly regretting updating to the Hybrid Engine now.
I agree. I was looking so forward to tracking my drum set with HEAT in real-time. It's why I purchased the carbon.

It's a total bummer that this decision was made to disable it during hybrid engine tracking.

Last edited by tekn0; 09-05-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hi Dominic,

HEAT is Native-only on Carbon. When you put a track in DSP Mode HEAT is automatically bypassed. We made this decision because HEAT is primarily used for mixing and DSP Mode is primarily used for tracking. And, we felt that the DSP load taken up by HEAT could be better used for other DSP duties like plugin processing and mixing.

If you're a Carbon user, would you like DSP Mode support for HEAT? And, for which workflows?
Hey Kyle, I'm just curious if you had a chance to review what we had said. Please if you have any influence, try to bring back HEAT to DSP on Carbon.

HEAT sounds like tape and will influence microphone placement and external recording choices to finesse and work with its sonic capabilities. Removing it from real-time recording basically means we have to "wing it" to get the sound we want.

I personally bought the carbon exclusively hoping to track my drum set with mic inputs running HEAT live. Personally, that's all I need. I understand DSP might be a concern, but let us users deal with that trade-off of how many plug-ins we can fit into DSP or how to manage the availability.

I hope my response was helpful. Again I would love to see HEAT brought back to DSP in the hybrid engine.

Last edited by tekn0; 09-05-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:15 PM

Kyle is no longer with Avid.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Kyle is no longer with Avid.
https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2628615&postcount=1

Mr John Whitcore has taken over from Kyle Splittgerber, who is now Senior Product Manager, Players & Remotes at Roku Inc.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 04-14-2022, 08:01 AM

Interesting how folks operate in different ways. Personally, I leave HEAT off until my mix is done and as good as I can make it. Then I enable HEAT and it gets that little bit better

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-14-2022, 10:32 AM
Avid

Hi All,

I completely understand the desire to use HEAT during tracking. 🎤🔥👌🏼It's a bit more tricky than it may appear on the surface though to make this happen on the Hybrid Engine.

It would require running a combination of both native and DSP instances of HEAT in the same session, something we don't do yet. It's not to say we couldn't implement this at some point but there's the question of resource allocation (both DSP and engineering). Right now HEAT is either ALL ON or ALL OFF. We would most likely need to change the way HEAT implemented to be able to run only on a subset of the mixer.

We'll continue to look at this and appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,
JW
Old 04-14-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubz70 View Post
Hi All,

I completely understand the desire to use HEAT during tracking. ��������It's a bit more tricky than it may appear on the surface though to make this happen on the Hybrid Engine.

It would require running a combination of both native and DSP instances of HEAT in the same session, something we don't do yet. It's not to say we couldn't implement this at some point but there's the question of resource allocation (both DSP and engineering). Right now HEAT is either ALL ON or ALL OFF. We would most likely need to change the way HEAT implemented to be able to run only on a subset of the mixer.

We'll continue to look at this and appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,
JW
Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited by tekn0; 09-05-2022 at 06:51 PM.