Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Default Wanting to get Pro Tools

Hi

I've decided I want to get a Mbox Mini with Pro Tools Express. Since it's only me & my guitars (also I do have midi KB I use for my Bass lines & drums) I figure Mini would be fine to start out on - It's only a hobby & @ 61 I don't plan on anything other than "just a hobby"...

I have a new Mac running Mountain Lion and using Bootcamp I also run Windows 7-64. I have 4 different interfaces and use different Daws including LOGIC, Reaper, Cubase 5 & just started learning Sonar Producer in Windows.

If I get a Mini can I install it on both OS X and my Windows partition too? Will the Ilok allow it? Or do I have to pick just 1 OS? also does any version of ELEVEN (plug-in) come with Express - if not can I buy it?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Wanting to get Pro Tools

Personally, I don't recommend Express as its too limited. I would go for the full Pro Tools so you don't any limitations. Having said that, why is it you want any Mbox or version of PT when you have 4 interfaces and several other programs?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 PM

just bored... wanting a "new toy". also $249 is much better for my fixed income than $699. Once I learn more about Pro Tools who knows...
Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM

Pro Tools 9&10 can use almost any interface. If you have that covered, just buy the software

Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Look Bud... the SOFTWARE is $699 and the mini w/express is $249 - How much simpler can I make this... I came here with a couple questions and asked politely - what's the problem? I just wanted to know a couple things 'eh. If you FEEL like answering the questions in my 1st post - Great! If not then sorry I woke ya'.

$249 will allow me to wet my feet and see if Pro Tools is worth the Hype - EVEN IF IT IS JUST THE EXPRESS VERSION (although I'm told in loads of other forums I belong to it's not). I know you have 22,000 posts and a load of goodies - but you're not being very cordial.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:30 PM

Since you are interested in learning I would say shoot for a used MBox of some type with Pro Tools LE 8 .

You'll get 80% (I just made that figure up. Here. On the spot) of the user experience and if you like you can upgrade to a full featured version later or pick up a used PT 9 asset to use with one of your existing interfaces. Or just grab a used PT 9 software license now and see if you like what you see.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM

+1 for avoiding SE
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM

will 8 run in Mountain Lion or Win 7-64?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM

8.0.5 will run on Windows 7. You might consider relaxing a bit. All my suggestions are ideas to help. You don't need to take them, but you sure don't need to cop an attitude either.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM

I appreciate any and all suggestions - just seemed like you were set on talking me out of buying a new toy... I know from other forums that newbies questions get old but I'm hardly a newbie. I have a bedroom full of guitars, amps, recording hardware, etc. Been playing since the 60's and some of my hardware is true vintage... Been into computer recording for a few years now. Just wanted to try out Pro Tools and the $249 is hard to beat. I may test it out and never use it again. NOWHERE can I find anything for $249 (been looking all evening) - even older versions... also I don't do Ebay...

If anyone wants to sell an older version Guaranteed to run on my system and I can register it, authorize the Ilok thingie, etc. let me know by all means.

Sorry if I offended you but I'm an old Rocker and somewhat outspoken in my old age. I'm a MOD over at guitarampmodeling.com and actually a beta-tester for 2 well known amp-sim software developers.

Peace Out

p.s. still haven't gotten an answer to my questions - so I posted in a few other forums.