Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 PM

Default Best route for firewire? Via Laptop setup

Hello everyone,

I just recently Purchased the Avid Bundle of - Pro tools 9 + MBox pro 3.
As you can see from the title, Im having a issue with Fire wire.
The issue is my laptop has no fire wire port, or card slot for a firewire adapter. SO i cannot connect my MBOX to my laptop.

my current laptop is..

A Sony VIAO laptop model PCG-71913L (i5 6gigs ram) but again no card slot or firewire ports

ive come to the conclusion, I will definitely need a new laptop.

But the problem is what to buy? And will it work out of the box with Mboxpro3 and protools 9.0.

Before anyone post, I have looked, and their are some threads on this, but they are over a year old, and I want to buy a newer laptop, not a used older one. (if i can avoid it)

I have read AVIDS website on tech and hardware requirements for protools 9 and 10. however they recommend and list a bunch of obsolete pc/laptops..

My question:

Can anyone recommend any decent laptops setups that they know work. Im not rich, but im not going to be cheap about it either, I mean you do get what you pay for. If anyone has a newer laptop that either came with firewire ports , or they got a adapter for, and worked out of the box with protools and mbox could you please list it. Oviously the laptop would have to meet the other req as well

price ranges im shooting for at are hopefully no more then 750 but i can go as high as 1800 if I have too. I just cant find any laptop period under 2k with firewire. I know I can get a card, but i dont know what to get, as far as compatibility...not just with the card and laptop but with the card,laptop,mbox, and protools...

I will be using protools for personal recording. No huge projects, or symphonies/choirs or even actual bands. Mostly guitar, synth, and vocals. Just a nice portable recoding unit for me, so i can record at home, or take it to a friends and mess around. I bought pro tools, so I could have fun, yet learn how to use the industry standard at the same time. nothing hardcore serious..maybe one day though..

thank you for your time and input..
Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Best route for firewire? Via Laptop setup

Mac Book Pro. Unibody has a FW800 port and Best Buy sells a FW800 to FW400 adapter if your drive is FW400 only. Earlier Mac Book Pro's have both FW400 & FW800 ports if you would consider a used laptop.

Also Some Toshiba Laptops, and some Viao laptops have a mini FW Port

Good Luck
BobCat
Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Best route for firewire? Via Laptop setup

Thanks, I am thinking about going mac, after reading some other reviews.

However, does anyone have exp, with any of the HP elites. I was Actually told by a person who said he was certified in pro tools, that the " PC " of choice, is a HP. He emphasized on the fact that anything other then a newer HP or Mac was going to be a problem especially when I upgrade from pro tools 9.0 to 10. I doubt he would lie to me, but its strange because i have seen the forum littered with people who are having issues with
newer hp models.