Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Default Seperate Preamp and Power amp Emulation?

I am considering buying a rack Eleven. However I cannot seem to find anywhere whether the amp emulation is divided into preamp and poweramp or it's just one thing. I understand that cab emulation and amp is seperate.

The plan is to use a Marshall EL34 50/50 power amp then to a cab for my live sound. I would like to just use preamp emulation for this because of course the Marshall power amp is not FRFR.

Is this possible?

Of course the main sound would be total emulation from the back of the unit straight to mixing console

Thanks

Martin
Old 11-17-2010, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Seperate Preamp and Power amp Emulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
Is this possible?
Nope.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 AM

The sound-coloring effect of a power amp (hence the role of power amp simulation) lies mainly in the distortion it produces when being overdriven (cranked). Since the 11R has a sound-neutral overall volume control for each rig (preset) you can decide for each rig wether you want power amp distortion or not. If you do want it then crank up the master volume or volume of the respective amp model you chose and turn down the rig volume control to balance the output volume of that sound. If you don't want power amp distortion do the opposite. In this case I don't think it will make a noticeable difference in sound wether the rig contains a power amp simulation or not. Because the simulated power amp is not run in a way that it would color the sound very much.
Besides, it will be quite difficult to produce power amp saturation with your Marshall 50/50 power amp. Well, not difficult, but...DAMN LOUD!
In my view it's the better choice to create the power amp saturation with the 11R.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your input :) It would seem if I choose the Eleven a FRFR power amp and FRFR speaker would be the way to go.

Martin
Old 11-18-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
It would seem if I choose the Eleven a FRFR power amp and FRFR speaker would be the way to go.
I would say that's true of any of the modern modelers.

To clarify my original, uncharacteristically terse, post: therealmf offers excellent advice. I was surprised at the difference in the character of distortion offered by the 11R's master-volume amps when comparing high preamp gain settings to high master-volume settings.

Because of the way you worded your question, I assumed that you were looking for separated preamp/power-amp functionality as is exposed on the Axe-FX and the HD.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Not directly answering, but I prefer to use a Mesa Quad preamp and just turn off the amp but sometimes use channel 1 and leave the amp on/roll off gain and it sounds really nice too. There's usually so much gain available I wouldn't want a power amp emulation section but that was a concern of mine that went away as I was using Line 6 and Peavey ReValver before this. What I did decide to add was a plugin called Mellow Muse where you can bring in impulses and it has some useful ones with it but if you copy more into it's directory you get a lot of options.