Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-13-2006, 06:41 AM

Default PT LE 7.0 and Video Cards...does it matter?

Does PTLE 7.0 performance vary depending on the video card used in a computer?

I've decided to build a PT computer, kind of taking the Allenstein route, and using an AMD Dual-Core processor, SLI motherboard, 4GB ram, and 10000 RPM hard drives. XP Pro.

Will my choice in video card affect PT's performance? I have a GeForce 6600GTOC now, because I have dual DVI displays. Should I get a more-powerful card? Truthfully, I haven't noticed a difference between the 6600GTOC I have now, and the GeForce 5200 that came with my computer.

As you can tell, I'm pretty green when it comes to computer stuff. That said, I'd rather buy once and cry once, than have to keep replacing stuff. I want this computer to work, out of the gate, and I don't want to mess with it ever.

Thanks for your advice,

Nick
Digi 002R
Old 02-13-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: PT LE 7.0 and Video Cards...does it matter?

yes and no.
the video card shouldnt directly affect PT performance, however in reality video cards/drivers do have a small effect on the overall system. (this is understandable if you know how video drivers work under windows) i got a minor performance boost when moving from an FX5200 to a RADEON 9600, and didnt have to deal with any of the drivers causing problems in PT that i had for awhile with the 5200.

in the end if the card is working fine stick with it as any difference will be very minor. compatability/stability come first and there is no need to fix something is isnt broken.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
yes and no.
the video card shouldnt directly affect PT performance, however in reality video cards/drivers do have a small effect on the overall system. (this is understandable if you know how video drivers work under windows) i got a minor performance boost when moving from an FX5200 to a RADEON 9600, and didnt have to deal with any of the drivers causing problems in PT that i had for awhile with the 5200.

in the end if the card is working fine stick with it as any difference will be very minor. compatability/stability come first and there is no need to fix something is isnt broken.
Thanks for the help! I can save about $100 by choosing a dual-DVI card that doesn't have the same specs as the card I have now (my current card is AGP and the new motherboard doesn't have AGP).

Do RADEON cards have better drivers than NVIDIA cards?

Nick
Digi 002R
Old 02-13-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the help! I can save about $100 by choosing a dual-DVI card that doesn't have the same specs as the card I have now (my current card is AGP and the new motherboard doesn't have AGP).

Nick
I am in the same boat as you. I am getting set to upgrade my computer and wanted to use as many of the current parts as possible to defray the cost a bit. I am looking at the same motherboard that you are using and the fact that it has no AGP slot is a little annoying, but understandable. I was also thinking about using something less expensive than the video card specified in the Allenstein thread but I also need dual monitor support. Do you know if any of the current Socket939 motherboards support AGP graphics?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Nick
I am in the same boat as you. I am getting set to upgrade my computer and wanted to use as many of the current parts as possible to defray the cost a bit. I am looking at the same motherboard that you are using and the fact that it has no AGP slot is a little annoying, but understandable. I was also thinking about using something less expensive than the video card specified in the Allenstein thread but I also need dual monitor support. Do you know if any of the current Socket939 motherboards support AGP graphics?
I don't, but I'm just a new guy when it comes to building computers. What I do is go to newegg.com and use their search features to figure stuff out.

Nick
Digi 002R
Old 02-13-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
i believe so, however ive heard conflicting reports
nVidia update their drivers regularly, usualy they get things right but sometimes they dont. when i had the FX5200 for awhile i wasnt able to use low buffer sizes as any live tracks would cut out every second or so. once i updated the driver again it was fine.
best advise is to go with a card that others are using problem free.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:20 PM

Okay, I can speak with some knowledge on this issue.

I had a Matrox G550 that refused to work well on an nForce2 motherboard. Swapping to an ATI Radeon 9200 (or was it a 9600?) fixed that.

On my current system, I went with a mega fast screamer computer. Asus A8N-SLi Premimum, Athlon 64 4200 X2, etc. Went with a Sapphire ATI Radeon X550 PCI-E video card... but if you install the AMD CPU driver instead of just using the "stock" MS one that installs with Win XP Pro, and if you install the "extra" software for that video card (ATI Catalyst), you WILL have issues with PT LE - no click track plug in functionality, and MIDI is a mess overall, and doesn't work properly. At least with this system *I* had those issues.

A reinstall of Win XP did not cure the problems, and neither did rolling back the drivers, un-installing the extra ATI software (using the basic ATI vid driver is okay - just don't install anything else) and manually editing the registry to remove all traces... the only way to get functional MIDI use from PT LE was to completely reformat the C drive and start all over again withy a clean install, and skip installation of the problem drivers / software.

Major pain in the butt. But not really Digidesign's problem IMO (and for the record, they did their best to help me track things down ), and maybe not ATI's or AMD's either... but frustrating nevertheless.

Yes, the video card you pick, and ALL other hardware and software CAN make a difference.

However, you don't need a super high-performance video card for use with PT LE. No 3D accelerator or anything like that. A basic AGP or PCI-E card should work fine, but then again, sometimes there can be specific hardware compat. issues for whatever reason - like with my old G550 and the nForce2 chipset mobo. I personally like cars with 64 - 128 MB of memory on them as a minimum, and a dual display capability. Dual displays in PT LE rock. Edit window on one, mix window on the other. But I digress... the only other video issue I've had with PT LE has been with the Smack! plug-in. The metering on that doesn't work properly with a display setting of 16 bits. At 32 bits, it works fine.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Okay, I can speak with some knowledge on this issue.

I had a Matrox G550 that refused to work well on an nForce2 motherboard. Swapping to an ATI Radeon 9200 (or was it a 9600?) fixed that.

On my current system, I went with a mega fast screamer computer. Asus A8N-SLi Premimum, Athlon 64 4200 X2, etc. Went with a Sapphire ATI Radeon X550 PCI-E video card... but if you install the AMD CPU driver instead of just using the "stock" MS one that installs with Win XP Pro, and if you install the "extra" software for that video card (ATI Catalyst), you WILL have issues with PT LE - no click track plug in functionality, and MIDI is a mess overall, and doesn't work properly. At least with this system *I* had those issues.

A reinstall of Win XP did not cure the problems, and neither did rolling back the drivers, un-installing the extra ATI software (using the basic ATI vid driver is okay - just don't install anything else) and manually editing the registry to remove all traces... the only way to get functional MIDI use from PT LE was to completely reformat the C drive and start all over again withy a clean install, and skip installation of the problem drivers / software.

Major pain in the butt. But not really Digidesign's problem IMO (and for the record, they did their best to help me track things down ), and maybe not ATI's or AMD's either... but frustrating nevertheless.

Yes, the video card you pick, and ALL other hardware and software CAN make a difference.

However, you don't need a super high-performance video card for use with PT LE. No 3D accelerator or anything like that. A basic AGP or PCI-E card should work fine, but then again, sometimes there can be specific hardware compat. issues for whatever reason - like with my old G550 and the nForce2 chipset mobo. I personally like cars with 64 - 128 MB of memory on them as a minimum, and a dual display capability. Dual displays in PT LE rock. Edit window on one, mix window on the other. But I digress... the only other video issue I've had with PT LE has been with the Smack! plug-in. The metering on that doesn't work properly with a display setting of 16 bits. At 32 bits, it works fine.
Thanks for the note, Phil. Yikes! I'm building a similar system to yours, and I'm afraid of those same problems. I just wish there was a way to build a computer, load the software, plug in the cables, and make music!

Nick
Digi 002R
Old 02-14-2006, 04:47 PM

I want to use the ASUS SLI motherboard, and even kicked around the idea of getting the two video cards, and run them SLI. But I'm a bit confused about SLI. Does anyone know if you can use two displays with it? What I read said that you plug one display into one card...but what if that "one card" has dual DVI, for instance? Could you use both DVI outputs?

Nick
Digi 002R