Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-26-2021, 08:31 PM

Default 2021 Low Latency Monitoring with 3rd Party Interface

Can someone help me out with something please… after upgrading from Pro Tools 2020.* to 2021.10, Enabling Low Latency Monitoring no longer mutes the record armed track when recording. Has anyone else noticed this? Have they taken away that functionality?

I used to use that to be able to drop in to a take, monitoring through my interface (Antelope Goliath) in near zero latency without the obvious doubling effect of hearing the signal back through Pro tools as well. I suspect they’ve changed it to enable the Low Latency Monitoring in their carbon stuff?

I’ve tried downgrading back to 2020 but I’m getting all sorts of DLL errors at launch so I’ve given up on that idea.

I know I could I link the record and play faders but that doesn’t let me here the persioialy recorded pass when dropping in.

Many thanks all

Mark
Old 11-26-2021, 11:45 PM

Default Re: 2021 Low Latency Monitoring with 3rd Party Interface

I can’t speak for 2021.10 but with 2021.3 it was still there. Tested in on a MacBook Air with MOTU M4

I have a carbon on my main Mac and beside the dsp tracking I really miss this mode.

Really hope that this is a bug. If I did not use a carbon and this native tracking mode with the auto mute function would be missing - this would be a reason for me to change the DAW for tracking and I am in pro tools since 7.3 and like it a lot.

Hope you can fix it - if it is a thing to fix.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2021, 12:04 AM

Antelope Goliath... but how exactly is it connected? HDX? (Yes I know that won't make sense) HD Native? USB? Just give us a lot better clue about your setup. Operating system? Version? Your profile says Pro Tools 10 which ain't right...

Nothing changed in LLM in the last year AFAIK, and if it was broken I expect folks would be screaming about it.

The easiest mistake is to not be using output 1&2 or be using a track without a physical input and LLM won't work as expected.

Again folks are not complaining about problems so unless it's pilot error it's likely to be something screwed up with your system. Carefully trash prefs (use PT Prefs (Mac) or Trasher (Windows)), make sure what you think is the playback engine, not say an aggregate device on Mac, delete/default all the IO, create a trivial one track session, make sure you are using a physical input and output 1&2, and see if you can reproduce the problem.

It's so easy to make mistakes here, it may help to set the IO buffer as large as you can to hear/confirm obvious software monitoring happening, and have somebody else who knows Pro Tools look over your shoulder.

---

If still badly stuck: there may be more to this story. What Pro Tools version did you try to roll back to and how did you do that? What were the exact errors... stuff there may point to more serious issues. Anything else has been going on? What OS and Pro Tools upgrades have you done where problems started?
Old 11-27-2021, 04:16 AM

NSTU that's encouraging thank you for the quick response. My apologies Im sure it's pilot error.

Darryl, thank you so much for your comprehensive reply and Im sorry for the lack of information and my outdated profile, I haven't been on here for years but just got to the end of building my studio after 2 years and Im troubleshooting some issues, Im sure it probably is me but I just couldn't work out where I was going wrong.

Not using output 1 and 2 is almost certainly where I've gone wrong, I vaguely remember that from the past now you mention it but Id completely forgotten, thank you!

I was trying to keep the routing as simple as possible between Pro Tools, the Goliath and my SSL matrix so that PT output 1 for example was Goliath out 1, SSL in 1 to DAW return 1 to Goliath in 1 etc. then mentoring the DAW L/R output through Ext in on the SSL, Output 31/32

I did wonder why no one else was shouting about it!!

Thanks again, really appreciated. Sorry it was such a school boy mistake!

Mark
Old 11-28-2021, 12:25 AM

Great if that got you going Mark.

The documentation for Low Latency Monitoring is pretty awful and confusing. Scattered around too much in the Reference Guide and confused between HD Native, HDX, and CoreAudio/ASIO. It needs a serious rewrite/clean up.

And the better, but still not great, documentation is hidden in the Reference Guide it's in the old Pro Tools 10 What's New document.. http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...s_10_73409.pdf

And give this only supports output 1&2 it's so limited for folks who need lots more monitoring mixes, and have that hardware monitoring capability in their interfaces, so they are back to setting up stuff more for themselves, including splitting faders.

Editorializing: I suspect confusion about Low Latency Monitoring causes all kinds of secondary problems, e.g. problems with audio missing in a bounce, plugins "not working", or software monitoring appearing not to work. And newbie users are likely to just select Low Latency Monitoring thinking it will magically improve monitoring latency... and be confused by what then does or does not happen. Doc and lack of in-product clarity is all to blame, it's just poorly done.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:53 AM

Default 2021 Low Latency Monitoring with 3rd Party Interface

Hang on. I’m pretty sure AVID changed the way LLM was functioning to now work with any outputs on your interface. AFAIK, it is no longer tied to physical outputs 1 + 2 and should work on any output.

Can’t remember which version this change was made but I think it was 2 or 3 years ago.

EDIT:

Just looked it up. It was 2018.7 where the change occurred.

From the What’s New PDF.

Low Latency Monitoring Enhancements

Pro Tools HD Native, Core Audio, and ASIO systems provide the following enhancements with Low Latency Monitoring:

Software monitoring is automatically disabled for all Track Input Monitoring-enabled tracks.

Software monitoring is automatically disabled for all Record-enabled tracks.

This lets you use hardware monitoring with any output channels on your audio interface without having to re-configure your session.

Previously when Low Latency Monitoring was enabled, software monitoring was disabled only for tracks assigned to physical outputs 1 or 2 on your audio interface.

https://resources.avid.com/SupportFi...ols_2018.7.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 11-28-2021 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:12 AM

Ha, that completely escaped me. Arrrrgggg...

(I wonder if the 1&2 thing was because Avid may not have wanted to embarrass their own interfaces with very limited hardware monitoring?)