Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2021, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Carbon's Future...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Agreed, local DSP makes a lot of sense, but it's going to create some user experience confusion if you can't route things in DSP mode that span more than one unit. Or, if you can, then AVB is going to need to meet the same latency guarantees that staying inside a single unit can.
The Carbon has 2 AVB ports on the back, chaining should be theoretically possible. So another unit that is just a DSP + analog io (16 of each please) would be ideal. You can clock sync off the master unit.

You would retain all the sample sizes for the channels rather than the limitations ofADAT and get 3x your DSP power....

I would buy this.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:34 AM

At the very least they could make an 8 channel unit of the exact same preamps and conversion that hooks up by Adat, similar to how Focusrite makes the Scarlett Octopre to exactly match their Scarlett interfaces.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:50 AM

They could make a variety of boxes, but they really should stick with a small selection of boxes that suit big (mtrx) and medium (carbon) markets, while leaving small markets for third parties. Since PT9 the small market Avid hardware has been dead in the water.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
At the very least they could make an 8 channel unit of the exact same preamps and conversion that hooks up by Adat, similar to how Focusrite makes the Scarlett Octopre to exactly match their Scarlett interfaces.
That would likely be a failure, selling an ADAT pre into largely just the user base of Carbon, would you pay $4k for it? Avid cannot and should not try to make commodity devices, they just cannot compete. If you want an ADAT pre there is a wide choice already in the market.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That would likely be a failure, selling an ADAT pre into largely just the user base of Carbon, would you pay $4k for it? Avid cannot and should not try to make commodity devices, they just cannot compete. If you want an ADAT pre there is a wide choice already in the market.
I dont want pre's, I want more DSP processors and additional analog I/O. I think a unit like this could be chained, but to your point if its another $4K... you are simply at a matrix studio at that point with HDX card. Thats really the jump.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:59 AM

Since we are all prognosticating here .
I would guess given the additional AVB port already on the Carbon that would be the most logical mode of Avid expansion connection.
As noted there are already multiple ADAT options from other mfg's I see no real upside for Avid to go that route .

I can see that some users would want no Pre's with simply more analog line inputs and or maybe DSP chips (for fairly big sessions) Since I did some early DSP testing when I got my Carbon and was easily able to run 50 tracks with a couple plugins with the existing 8 chips

And I can see some would want the pres and chips or basically another Carbon

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...