Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Can I adjust the length of punch takes?

I have to admit, that after using PTLE for 3 to 4 years I really don't know it that well. I've been using it as if it's a tape system. Now I am in a session in which I need to move more quickly and punch more and utilize more.

Let's say I have a single long region with a single punch. Punch was too early. Can I "slide" the playback point forward on the punch to reveal the underlying part of the previous take?

Also, if I do two punches in a row at the same spot, and the one I want to use is a bit later, I will see three regions. If I select the one in between and remove it I get a gap in audio. Is there a way to make either the second punch or original audio reach across the gap?

Sorry for such simple questions, but I'm in a dead heat here and don't have much free time. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Can I adjust the length of punch takes?

Quote:
Let's say I have a single long region with a single punch. Punch was too early. Can I "slide" the playback point forward on the punch to reveal the underlying part of the previous take?

yes, you can do this with the trim tool (F6). you may want to do a cross fade as well.

Quote:

Also, if I do two punches in a row at the same spot, and the one I want to use is a bit later, I will see three regions. If I select the one in between and remove it I get a gap in audio. Is there a way to make either the second punch or original audio reach across the gap?

hold down control and use the trim tool to bring your orginal track right up against your punch. again, you may want to do a cross fade here.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:21 PM

Very Nice! Thank you Hogie.

I've been goofing around with it now. THIS is a most excellent set of tools. I'm getting blown away by the abilities of this system. I have been under utilizing ProTools greatly.

I have one more question along the same lines... wait... lemme see if I can answer this myself.

I've got this picture of a session in my head right now. It's like the layers you might use in Photoshop. I have five or six takes. Some parts of the whole track might be one layer deep, others 3 or 6. If take 4 butts up against take 1, but I know take 2 is under take 4, I still need to go over to my region browser and drag and drop take 2 in "spot" time to get it into the session? And then adjust it's length. Or can I selectively "peel" back the layers? You know, like Photoshop.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:41 PM

unrelated, but mark, are you the guy i bought the roland speakers from about a 9 months ago? i too am located in the 505...

1.42 GhZ Power PC G4 iBook - 512 Memory Built-In - Mac OSX 10.4.2 - Digidesign 002r - PT LE 6.9 - Furman8 Power Conditioner - Behringer Ultragain 8 Pro connected via Optical - ADAT & set as clock source - DigiRack Plug-In's - Izotope Vinyl Plug-In - BF Essential Plug-In's - EQ III - iTunes 6.0 (17)
Old 10-16-2005, 01:34 AM

Hi Samuel

Never owned any Rolands but am looking at the 8" jobby at Grandma's. Seems like the nicest near field they've got at that price point. How are you liking them? Do you mixes transfer well? I kinda wouln't mind a pair of NS10s, but it's easy to walk into Grandma's and leave with a warantee.

Not sure we've met. Where are you? I'm in Rio Rancho.

Enjoy!
Old 10-16-2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:

I've been goofing around with it now. THIS is a most excellent set of tools. I'm getting blown away by the abilities of this system. I have been under utilizing ProTools greatly.

I highly recommend you read the manuals.

Quote:

I've got this picture of a session in my head right now. It's like the layers you might use in Photoshop. I have five or six takes. Some parts of the whole track might be one layer deep, others 3 or 6. If take 4 butts up against take 1, but I know take 2 is under take 4, I still need to go over to my region browser and drag and drop take 2 in "spot" time to get it into the session? And then adjust it's length. Or can I selectively "peel" back the layers? You know, like Photoshop.

well that gets tricky. Spot mode is the safest way to bring your takes back onto the track. but if you have several takes regions that all have the same start time, double-click the region in view, then with the selector tool (not muliti mode) command-click on the region. then a list should pop up showing all your multiple takes. see page 162 in the manual.

this method doesn't really work for punches though because it's highly unlikely any of your punches will have the same start time. it's better for multiple passes of the whole song or something like a guitar solo that was recorded in loop record mode.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:47 AM

Thank you again, Hogie.

I read the manual through when I first got 5.1. Of course you have to have the hands on. During the session, I'm picking up the manual when clients are not around. You know... As good as the manual is, it's hard to search and doesn't include some things.

Thanks for direct page reference. I have about a half hour to myself. Gotta go.

PS (Been trying to put my specs in my sig. Won't take for some reason. I wonder if it's Mozilla that's the problem.)
Old 10-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Hey Mark,

I'm in Albuquerque, doing mixes for myself and local bands, currently my own band The Coma Recovery.

Haven't been to g-ma's in a while, I might head over there and check out their latest. Looking for a tube composer or something else to blow money on...

The girl that works pro-audio at guitar center, her name is April, is super nice. Just a heads up in case you need stuff, she gave me a copy of 6.9 without any hassle and she is always really helpful, unlike the majority of nationwide guitar center staff.