Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2000, 02:39 PM

Default 2-track editing/mastering

Anybody/Everybody:

What software are people using for stereo editing, pre-mastering ?
Old 03-20-2000, 05:02 PM

Default Re: 2-track editing/mastering

back in the day, I used Sound Designer II, but it is defunct, and I haven't found anything worthy of the $$ that they're asking, so I tend to do it in PT and bounce my tracks to files and burn the CD from Adaptec. But I'd love to hear about what other people are doing...
Old 03-20-2000, 09:04 PM

Why would you not want to use PT? Most of the work I do in PT is 2 track editing... I havn't found anything else as quick and easy to use. Of course, having to bounce in real-time after performing only a couple of edits is a drag.

Marc.
Old 03-20-2000, 09:39 PM

I just got a copy of Peak LE 1.63 with Jam, but didn't know if it was worth the effort to learn and use instead of PTLE. I haven't had too much of a problem using PTLE for pre-mastering, but if there are benefits to using Peak LE, I'd be interested in finding out what it can do that PTLE can't (or vice versa).

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-21-2000, 07:57 AM

Sound Designer II is the best 2-track editing...too bad that Digi doesn't want to support it anymore...Digi says to use Peak, but this software is very far from SDII.
I tried also other editors...none like SDII.

You can use ProTools but...it's like getting a jumbo instead of your bicycle to go for a walk.....

Anybody out there that can decode the old software? eheheh!
Old 03-21-2000, 02:14 PM

Mike,

I hear ya'...Long live SDII, perhaps SDII is of an eastern slant; and will reappear, in it's next incarnation as a SLEEKER...SD2000....say that's a good name, if I must say so myself.

digi SD2000 is my name/idea, send me a royalty for each copy sold. I also won't replace installs and could discontinue support unexpectedly....

Regards

e

[This message has been edited by editor (edited March 21, 2000).]
Old 03-21-2000, 03:27 PM

I hear ya ! I've been a SoundDesigner-adept from the very first beginning and have never found anything close to it's straightforwardness and simplicity.

BUT; let's not reminiscene too much.
I've tried Peak: looks too much like SoundEdit and feels like a crappy browser-kinda-thing. SoundEdit is a toy. I've recently bought Spark from TC Electronics.
I won't go into all the details, but I can advise any Protoolarian...erm..Protooborg (?) to go with this:
Beautiful UI and plenty of (well hidden ;-) features. Does VST, AS plugs in a matrix of 5 x 6= 30 plugs. Does realtime SR-conversion (record with a bunch of plugs, select destination SR), Support of Digi001 i/o, export to numbers of formats, region editing in combi with Adaptec Taost 4.11...

What more d'ya want from life ?
(and NO: I don't work for TC Electronics, just love the product !!)

------------------
Arno Peeters
www.tapetv.nl
Old 03-21-2000, 03:42 PM

i too miss sdII (poet 'n don't knowit)

for trimming the lenght or changing the gain of a stereo interleaved sdII file, i use sonicworx artist. it supports 24 and 16 bit files. it can apply fades to the in and out of your file. it is not sdII, but it does do these things rather nicely, and in a timely manner. the software is free (not a demo). if you want to pay for something there is a version with a lot of plug ins.
you can get it at www.prosoniq.com

i have tried to like peak, but NO NO NO.
peakle (pickle?) does not support 24 bit files. you have to pay 200 clams for this "added feature"
ahem,
my 2 scents.
Old 03-21-2000, 08:01 PM

Let me me be the lone voice in the wilderness that does not miss SDII. I used it for years, once I began to use SDII, I found no need for it. TDM delays are not anissue if you run both sides of a stereo signal through the same plu-in. I do not have a problem with bounces cutting off ends of files. I find the fades in PT superior to anything else out there. Peak is really only useful as a batch convertor. I would, of course, love to see stereo interleaved file support, but I am not really that hindered by it. I master lots of CDs and do a lot of stereo editing in Protools and it really works great for me.
Old 03-21-2000, 10:05 PM

Mark Wheaton says: 'TDM delays are not an issue if you run both sides of a stereo signal through the same plug-in.'

Mark, beg to differ. If I'm editing a sample in PT and using a plug-in or two, and bounce the result to an interleaved file, the plug-in delay puts a little blank space at the front of the file. Acceptable for a demo mix perhaps, but for a sample that may be triggered at a lower pitch, not good. The workaround, of course, is to rerecord the audio into PT, and then bounce w/o plugins, but this is a silly thing to do when you're editing a few hundred samples.

I want my SDII!