Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2021, 07:07 PM

Default Midi editing question

I have a MIDI groove from EZ Drummer that has a foot close hi-hat in the drum groove that goes through the entire selection....... in 1/8th notes...... and I want to remove and change it to a regular stick hi-hat groove of my own choice. It is 16 bars of what I'm using as a a pre-chorus- so there are a bunch of them.

How can I select all of them and delete them or drag them all to the correct placement together? Or do I have to laboriously click on each one in the MIDI Editor to delete or drag them?

The same can be said about velocities. I know how to set the default MIDI note velocity. But say I have a bunch of hi-hat or other notes, kick drum say.... that are too low in volume and I want to change all of the velocity values to a higher number and then play with different velocities later, for a more natural sound. Can I do them all together or have to edit each one at a time?

I tried highlighting the open hi-hat as mentioned before and hitting delete but that didn't work and I'm have the devil of a time trying to search out this info. Probably basic MIDI editing 101 but your help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 01-08-2021, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Midi editing question

Fairly easy to remedy both situations. Open the MIDI track in the MIDI editor and click the piano key (this selects all the incidences of that note) on the left side that corresponds to the note that plays the closed hihat and drag it up or down to the note that corresponds to the cymbal you want to use. Or use the transpose function to move the note. Right click on the note and select 'event operations' and then select 'transpose'. Same thing for the velocity - select 'change velocity'. This will change all the velocities at once. Pay attention to the options in the change velocity box as there's a way to randomnize them.

QAPLA!
Old 01-08-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
I have a MIDI groove from EZ Drummer that has a foot close hi-hat in the drum groove that goes through the entire selection....... in 1/8th notes...... and I want to remove and change it to a regular stick hi-hat groove of my own choice. It is 16 bars of what I'm using as a a pre-chorus- so there are a bunch of them.

How can I select all of them and delete them or drag them all to the correct placement together? Or do I have to laboriously click on each one in the MIDI Editor to delete or drag them?

The same can be said about velocities. I know how to set the default MIDI note velocity. But say I have a bunch of hi-hat or other notes, kick drum say.... that are too low in volume and I want to change all of the velocity values to a higher number and then play with different velocities later, for a more natural sound. Can I do them all together or have to edit each one at a time?

I tried highlighting the open hi-hat as mentioned before and hitting delete but that didn't work and I'm have the devil of a time trying to search out this info. Probably basic MIDI editing 101 but your help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Switch the midi track display to note and then you can just draw a box on that note to select them all. You can also select them all by clicking on that note on the piano scroll that will display next to the track along with a modifier key (i forget which one, not in front of PT.)

Once you have selected all that note, you can delete them, or you can change track display to velocity, and then you can drag the velocity marks of all the notes at once. Or you can use the MIDI control panel window (option + o I think) and change all the velocities by a certain value, or set them all to a specific value.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:07 AM

Thank you very much folks.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 01-08-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Switch the midi track display to note and then you can just draw a box on that note to select them all. You can also select them all by clicking on that note on the piano scroll that will display next to the track along with a modifier key (i forget which one, not in front of PT.)

Once you have selected all that note, you can delete them, or you can change track display to velocity, and then you can drag the velocity marks of all the notes at once. Or you can use the MIDI control panel window (option + o I think) and change all the velocities by a certain value, or set them all to a specific value.
You don't need a modifier key - just click on the piano roll note in the MIDI editor. No need to change the display to velocity either - just do what I outlined earlier. Super simple - been doing this since Avid screwed up the MIDI Event List editing capabilities.

QAPLA!