Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2004, 03:26 PM

Default how can i dump midi from motif/mpc to PT session?

Whats up everybody. I'm currently learning how to track out my instrumentals track by track and along the way am finding out that its best to record each track in monotimbral mode on the keyboard in order to get the full effect out of the voice rather than using the sequence mode of the keyboard and being in multitimbral mode.

i am curently using a motif es sequencer for my motif tracks as well as an mpc2kxl sequencer when i'm working with my triton. i was hoping someone would know how i could dump midi data from the motif or the mpc2kxl depending on which equipment i was working with into my pro tools session so that pro tools would then become the sequencer and i could then record each track individually in monotimbral mode? (i believe thats what its called.. its voice mode on motif and program or combi mode on triton).

anybody doing this or know how to do it ? your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:37 AM

Default Re: how can i dump midi from motif/mpc to PT sessi

Nice beats, went to your site. Keep up the good work, someday we will meet.
I am a DJ, Engineer, and a Producer. To answer your question first are you using a MAC or PC? If you are using a PC it is easy. I use my MPC w/ my Trinity. I sequ. my beat with my MPC, then I make a SONG / save it to disk. Then open the disk with my PC and save to desktop and Open PT, then open the midi file (IN PT). Then you have to set your track settings. You should be able to see your midi notes.

Hope this helps
Old 01-17-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: how can i dump midi from motif/mpc to PT session?

Create a midi file of the sequence with the Motif and/or MPC, save to floppy, copy into your session and under file, import midi. It's very easy.

Just out of curiousity, having tried to use combi mode, I was never really satisfied. I suppose it could work depending on the sounds you choose, their location on the keyboard and the amount of sounds, but what would you do if you wanted 16 sounds in combi mode?
Old 01-17-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: how can i dump midi from motif/mpc to PT sessi

Actually, I found a pretty cool way to do it just over MIDI. Haven't tried it on my MPC but I know it will work. I have however tried it with my Motif and it worked wonderfully. What I did was to first use the Midi Beat Clock in pro tools using a Midi Out on the Digi to the midi in on the Motif then setup the trigger on the Motif to be MIDI.. I then hooked up the midi out of the Motif to the Midi in port on the digi 002 and then created a Midi track in pro tools for every midi track I had in my beat and configured the Mixer to use the correct midi channel for each track.. then I record enabled each Midi track as well as (just as a test) a stereo audio track so that I could hear the beat while it was recording. I then let the whole beat play out while pro tools was recording the stereo audio and midi tracks and I ended up with my entire beat layed out with Midi. Then to record each track one by one I would just create a stereo track inside of pro tools and then mute all the midi tracks except for the one I wanted to work with.. I then put the motif in Voice mode and selected the appropriate voice for the track and set the stereo audio track to record enable and did that for each track until I was done.

i just realized that was pretty much one huge run on sentance but oh well oh and thanks for listening to my tracks.. i'm glad you enjoyed them