Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Question about an older Mac Pro and possible older versions of Pro Tools HD

I have a couple questions for you guys.

I have an older Mac G5 running Pro Tools HD 7.2

I don't know why I never upgraded from that all these years.

Anyways I want to step up a little bit but just am not ready to go the full swing to a HDX system yet financially.

I would like to get the used Mac Pro that I could get as far as the most stable processors. and upgrade to a higher version of Pro Tools HD before it went to a mandatory HDX conversion. that is also a stable version also.

I do intend on purchasing a brand new Mac in the future as well as a Bigger HDX system just not ready now.

If you were buying a used Mac Pro. is there a certain year or processor specs that were the most trouble free as far as compatability issues?

Thanks In Advance,
Russell
Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Question about an older Mac Pro and possible older versions of Pro Tools HD

I would go for the current 2010-new 5.1 model. (yes they got a minor speed bump last year but there more or less the same)
What model G5, most have PCIX all Mac Pros have PCIe, PCIX cards will not fit into PCIe slots

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Question about an older Mac Pro and possible older versions of Pro Tools HD

Thanks for the info my friend.

My computer has the PCI-E

so i am good to go as far as that.

is there a specific name of a processor that would be associated with these 2010 thru current machines.

I know i see different processors listed and didn't know for sure what to look for
Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 PM

look like they are the Westmeres http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ex-macpro.html

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman_rob View Post
I have an older Mac G5 running Pro Tools HD 7.2 (...) I want to step up a little bit
As said; 2nd hand Mac Pro (especially 4,1 and 5,1 versions are good) and PT10 upgrade would be nicest thing to do for your cards. But it costs significantly, especially the PT10 upgrade.

But if you're not ready to spend that much and still want to keep that G5 going, then you could update to Leopard and Protools 8.0 which gives you a little more modern system but doesn't cost much.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 AM

8.0/8.0.1 were less than great builds and the last builds that will run on a G5
7.4 was a good build

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 PM

Thanks guys.

I defnintly want to upgrade to a mac pro even if only a temporary upgrade to a used one before buying my new one to go with a new system.

if you were stuck using a HD system and coudln't upgrade to a HDX or the software to run with it.

But wanted to go Mac Pro what version of PT HD would you choose?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:47 PM

I would go up to 10, you get the Disk Cache, some of the new AAX native stuff (channel strip), your older stuff mostly works (I'm sure some plug will need updating), the adjustable Pan Law

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-13-2013, 11:13 PM

Yep, PT10 is the one to choose, budget permitting. IF the upgrade cost cannot be justified, I'd stick with 8.1.1 which supports HEAT. I myself do not see any point in PT9 unless you plan to use it with non-Avid hardware.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks Guys