Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Angry Avid will not recognize my PT 9 to PT 10 upgrade purchased at Guitar Center

delete
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Avid will not recognize my PT 9 to PT 10 upgrade purchased at Guitar Center

You don't have to pay for support when dealing with registration/activation issues. It's free. When you call them, choose the appropriate choice when prompted.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Avid will not recognize my PT 9 to PT 10 upgrade purchased at Guitar Center

Talk to the salesperson at GC in person, demand that they get the manager and make them get everything completely straightened out with Avid while you wait. Their job is to deliver what you paid for or give you your money back. It's not a return when you never received a working product in the first place. They ought to pay you for your lost time!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 AM

I sure hope they gave you a 9 to 10 Upgrade and not a 6,7,8 to 10 upgrade or worse still a M-Powered crossgrade!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 AM

You do not need a support code to get activation/registration help. Or help for repairs. I just contacted someone with a question recently and got through just fine.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
You need to spend a lot more money on a tech that knows what he's doing or time learning about basic techy stuff. Reading your posts, many, maybe all, decisions you've made that cost you time and money an experienced person would not have made.

Stuff you say:
"Laptop gets virus. PT8 never works on that machine again even after re-image."
-PT8 will work on any qualified working computer and interface with a properly installed OSX. Viruses do not destroy computers as a whole. Viruses are very rare on Macs. Did your local PC computer shop tell you that your computer is ruined because of a Mac virus or did you decide that?

"Purchase MacBook Pro running OSX Lion = PT9 is not supported on OSX Lion (or vice versa, whatever.)"
-Sympathy here. Apple makes it a HUGE PITA to put Snow Leopard on a MacBook that came with Lion. But it is possible and that's what you should have done there. I recommend you research what you plan to buy, before you buy, learning about the problems others encounter and how they overcome those bumps. And steer away from gear that you've learned through your research gives other users problems.

You're the type of customer that, if I were Avid, would terrify me with your (not all) unrealistic expectations. Technology is not yet at a point where everything you want to do or buy "just works." Some of you're problems sound like they may or may not be Avid's fault as well, but your path of problems would never be encountered by the vast majority of DAW users with a little technical aptitude and experience under their belt. You're a newbie and seemingly with aptitudes not including technology. Computers are technical instruments that require more knowledge than what you're given at birth. Translation...you need to do more research, experiment, get experience on DAW/OSX/Mac, read a little techy stuff... or hire someone that has these abilities. Someone somewhere in your town is good with all of this kind of stuff and you need to hook up with him.
I should have been more clear in my heated diatribe. The first two laptops I was using were PC, not Mac. I use my laptops for work and they generally last about two years before hard drive failure from over use. Also, my original Mbox did more or less bite the dust after some time. The Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 not working = It's a firewire device and I'm pretty sure the problem was the 3 stage(jerry rigged) adapter configuration. Also, there were some early Saffire Pro 40's that (I've been told) had some issues working with PT 9. It's likely I have one of these, though no dice with the latest drivers. I haven't got to use it yet but given the cheap price I thought it might be good for a mobile rig.

As far as being or not being tech savvy goes, I'm a wireless network engineer by trade and have spent years doing tech support. I will try to find the time to "read a little techy stuff" while I'm not reading other techy stuff.
Seriously though, thanks for the input. I'm sorry, but I'm just livid at the prospect of having to pay for tech support for this.

I've been using PT for about 5 years and bought Reason as well. I have no issue with PT as a DAW, it works. However, having just spent $300 on my 3rd license to be told that the license is not valid was just icing on the cake having just spent more than what some people spend on an engagement ring on my new Mac purchase which was to get away from the virus prone PC's. I do not think this to be an unrealistic expectation. I think this process should "just work" and I was not expecting to discover issues until the process got to using the 3rd party, non-Avid interface during or following the actual PT install.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You do not need a support code to get activation/registration help. Or help for repairs. I just contacted someone with a question recently and got through just fine.
Thanks, I'll call again and try not to absolutely loose my mind when the recorded voice says that I will need to enter a code to continue.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Your problem is with Guitar Center and not Avid if the registration system won't accept an activation code they sold you.

How is Avid supposed to know that you actually paid or that Guitar Center didn't sell the same code to more than one person? I wouldn't assume that you did anything wrong at all.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM

All,
Thanks for the input and help. I got through to Avid and was able to get the code to work.
So, when calling Avid the recorded voice tells you that you need a code to proceed but if you stay on the line you find out this is not actually the case as there are a few more options.

Guitar Center was actually helpful as well. My sales guy had put in a call to his regional manager, Avid rep, and Avid.

Not sure what was wrong-nor was Avid Support but after a few tries they (not me) were able to get the code to go through.

I actually would like to kill this thread and start a new one with just the correct steps that ended up working - just in case someone else has the same problem.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM

Glad you got it worked out!