Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Default DNS one or Waves WNS

Hi All,
I read all the posts on the DNS One thread and this was touched on but no comments where given. Which plug in should I buy?

Based on price Waves is cheaper now but I have to pay wup every year.

The real question, which plug in is functionally better and better sounding?

Thanks for all the help.
Best,
Brandon
Old 04-09-2010, 01:54 PM

Default Re: DNS one or Waves WNS

I have the CEDAR DNS One and have been using it for a month (I bought it the day it came out). It is superb, and no WUP ever! By the way, CEDAR was the original Noise Reduction so I am guessing that Waves copied it. Now that the CEDAR is out, Waves will probably lower their price the price of their WNS as I think most professional people will opt for CEDAR. I think I paid $3750 Canadian (which at exchange rate was about $3650 US) for my CEDAR (slightly more than Waves) but it is totally worth the no WUP policy and no I-lock either (comes with its own USB dongle)!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. Anyone have a side by side comparison?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM

It would be very difficult to find someone who bought both of these plugins because of the high price. I bought the Waves one, because it came out first and because it is a TDM plugin (I have a relatively slow Mac Pro, late 2006 2.0 GHz model).
It runs perfectly stable in my sessions and works as expected - I've been using almost everything that was available for BG noise reduction: from Cat 43 and 430 to DNS 1000 and 2000. It works very similar to DNS series and has some improvements - constantly variable low and hi freq sliders (these determine the range NR deals with) and Hi/Lo pass filters at these frequencies. Maps perfectly to my ICON D-Control and gives me a touch-sensitive automation control.
In a busy session, I can insert 8-10 instances without a problem, and that is more than I ever had available with hardware units.
I don't need more.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:36 PM

I bought the WNS because there was an introductory deal for about $1800. It works very well for me! Better than I expected and all I needed so far for all my dialogue tracks.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM

I bought the WNS when the deal was on, and have been extremely pleased with it. I've used the hardware DNS many times, and the waves one is - well, Branko said it all really! No complaints at all, and I've got a bit more cash in my pocket!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 AM

Got to try the Waves WNS at a friends studio and liked how it sounded. Previous experience was with the Digi BNR and Izotope RX. I automated the WNS using the inexpensive Novation Nocturn. Currently a Waves Platinum owner, waiting for one of those upgrade deals Waves has every month...
But, I'd love to hear a side by side comparison..
Old 04-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Having used DNS3000, all I can say is WNS is no way near what DNS can do. Having said that, I haven't seen/heard the DNS one in action.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 04-11-2010, 02:42 PM

DNS One is the same thing as the DNS 3000 tech-wise.

I tried the WNS, and it's good. Its big plus is that is supports more than the RTAS format. I can use WNS in Nuendo and Reaper, as well as Protools. That's a plus for me, though I'm sure Cedar will consider VST/AU versions too as the post market expands to non-Protools platforms more and more.

In Reaper and Nuendo I can render a dialog stem at non-realtime speeds and re-record fixes and recuts in to the stem track in real-time. Protools, not so quick. So on the one hand we have the quality of Cedar noise suppression but limited format support, and on the other hand noise suppression that performs almost as good but supports more platforms and is therefore much more flexible.

I use the Izotope RX bundle for editing on my home PT LE and Reaper rig, and can't invest in a DNS or WNS just yet, but when I do, this won't be an easy decision.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundoz View Post
Having used DNS3000, all I can say is WNS is no way near what DNS can do.
Funny enough - I wasn't able to find any big difference between DNS 2000 and WNS. Is 3000's algorithm something different?