Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2018, 12:46 AM

Default Any reason to renew?

I’m on the fence. I really feel the 399 was not worth it this past year. A lot of buggy and crashy updates. Not a lot feature wise. No real HD only stuff.

The price is too high for hd in my opinion for what I’m getting.

What’s on the horizon? I’m thinking of ending the subscription and just stopping the upgrades.

Avid sell me because honestly I’m really dissapointed. The stability has been a little shaky. Getting crashes deep editing at times.

The 1k price tag to get back if it lapses is ridiculous as well.

I feel like I’m gonna waste another 399 unless I know some good things are coming.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Any reason to renew?

It's so frustrating. They have no incentive to innovate and address ideascale requests if they just take our money annually. Before, with every big release they had to impress enough people to make sales. Now it's just blackmail: "Pay us or we will charge you triple when we finally get around to implementing a feature you really want" or worse, "pay triple or your sessions won't be compatible". There tends to be a small improvement here or there but nothing special. I bought 9 10 11 straight away as they were all great releases. But 12 brought nothing of interest to me until clip effects, but even that was only a nice addition rather than something that felt essential. I only just reinstated due to compatibility issues with dolby atmos sessions which is a crumby reason.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 AM

I saw this from the very beginning have refused to buy into the scam.

The way I see it I’ve saved over 2 grand so far by not paying one red cent to Avid since my PTHD11 upgrade, which at the time was actually worth the price if the upgrade.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:39 AM

Unless you have to make the decision this week, I'd wait at least until NAMM is over.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:14 AM

I agree sincere! Paying for bugfixes is ridiculous anyway. A software company has the obligation to deliver a good working piece! Not let you pay extra for getting rid of the bugs. I stopped at 12.5 HD and refuse to pay anymore to this greedy company.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:02 AM

I also paid $399 and went another year and when the year was over I felt like I might as well have burned it in the trash can. Didn’t get anything that did my work flow any good. If I won’t pay them $399 to stay current I’m definitely not paying $999. to reinstate. In short, they have lost any revenue from me for software. And I don’t see them changing the way they do business. My opinion is they hurt themselves with this business model. I forsee more and more HD software users letting their perpetual software plans lapse. If it was only $99. a year to stay current like it is with regular Protools I would do it but to me $399. is too much. I’m on 12.7.1 and it looks like that’s where I’ll stay.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:41 AM

maybe one of the Mods can think about this ...

can we get a new Forum for just these questions ... as everyday someone else is asking the question of whether or not to renew ...

this would be different from the Licensing and Accounts Forum ..

just a thought .. john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-16-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
maybe one of the Mods can think about this ...

can we get a new Forum for just these questions ... as everyday someone else is asking the question of whether or not to renew ...

this would be different from the Licensing and Accounts Forum ..

just a thought .. john
Might sound good at first blush but upon reflection, perhaps not really.

Such a Forum would simply encourage more injection of the tedious, emotional based, claptrap bitch fest replies, that are in fact a waste of time and energy, and already populate the existing forums .

Given that people's situations are as varied as the individuals themselves such questions can really only be answered by each individual for themselves. From an objective standpoint this question is likely Rhetorical at best.

Unless you are privy to Avids decision making process, the future is unknowable.
Thus the decision is really pretty simple and should be totally objective driven. Given what is front of you currently, either it is worth it to stay current, or it isn't.
The only objective and salient reply in this thread so far is Drew's "wait until NAMM" then decide .
The rest is pretty much a tempest in a teapot.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 AM

There are plenty of sub forums IMO.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
I’m on the fence. I really feel the 399 was not worth it this past year. A lot of buggy and crashy updates. Not a lot feature wise. No real HD only stuff.

The price is too high for hd in my opinion for what I’m getting.

What’s on the horizon? I’m thinking of ending the subscription and just stopping the upgrades.

Avid sell me because honestly I’m really dissapointed. The stability has been a little shaky. Getting crashes deep editing at times.

The 1k price tag to get back if it lapses is ridiculous as well.

I feel like I’m gonna waste another 399 unless I know some good things are coming.
What do you really like to see in Pro Tools that it doesn't do it well?
I changed DAWs many times...Logic, Pro Tools, Studio One, Reason, Digital Performer...and every time I came back to Pro Tools. Bugs are everywhere, I found it in every daws I tried...seriously. Yes, Avid doesn't release big features for musicians at every update, but which features PT doesn't cover well that others daws do it better? Folders? Arrangement markers? Graphical improvements? VI? drag and drop? This things makes us better musicians?
For me, PT covers very well all the musicians needs in a minimal but efficient and robust way...
I moved away from Logic, despite its big VI and loops assets, because full of bugs, automations nightmare, worst audio editing, bad pitch shift algorithm on the market.
I moved away from Reason because its confusing rack system and mixer and its poor audio editing features (no fades curves, limited zoom, no video player).
I moved away from DP because poor community, note only MIDI view that causes editing nightmare..and so on..
There isn't the perfect DAW. Then, I stop to blow my mind with marketing and toys things and I tried to be objective and realistic: FOR ME, Pro Tools MIDI legibility is ok, automations are clear, mixer is clear and powerful, Beat Detective is simply the best tool on the market for quantize drums and it save me lot of time compared to other DAWS, Elastic algorithm works well, scoring is minimal but works well too (if I really needed to do scoring, DAW isn't the right tool IMHO), audio editing is super speed and powerful, Memory Location is the de-facto workflow killer feature that I didn't find in other DAWS. And cloud collaboration is the future and only Cubase and PT invested on this. Furthermore, Pro Tools impacts to big production studios, every feature that Avid release take into industry habit and workflow, not only songwriters and home recording users. Avid balances features between industry and musicians needs and now it makes public future features development..not every brand do it.