Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-06-2002, 04:19 PM

Default Analog Consoles, ...Soundcraft or Midas?

Any thoughts on a good analog mixer? This is something that will not be a fix installation into my studio, but rather as a live console for shows. But who's to say I won't use it as well in the studio... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So how about it? I'm looking into a 24+ channel mixer with pre fader/eq direct outputs...

Anyone with experience?

I appreciate your opinions..

~Cheers~
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 11-06-2002, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Analog Consoles, ...Soundcraft or Midas?

Soundcraft MH-4. Great mic pres, and routing for days. Designed to whoop the Midas.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:11 PM

Without specifying your budget it's really hard to say. I'll assume you aren't on an XL4 budget so in the lower end:

I'd go soundcraft over the low-end midas boards, I used the Midas Venice a bit and it's pretty mediocre, it's reasonably versitile but the EQ is really average and I found there wasn't quite as much headroom as i'd like for rock mixing.

I recently used a grand spanking new Soundcraft Series 2 board and it was great. Sounds really good, great features (variable hpf, h/l shelves, 2x swept mids and dedicated EQ cut, 8 sends, mute groups, direct outs switchable pre/post eq/fader), was a very sweet board to mix on.

Also in the mid-low budget the Allen and Heath GL series (2200, 3200) are both pretty capable boards, I always liked the sound of them although make sure you get the bigger power supply if you are running more than 16 channels cos they run outta headroom quite fast with the dinky little power supply. The A&H preamps sound pretty good and they have direct outs as well and good sounding EQ.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 11-06-2002, 08:01 PM

Soundcraft series 2 is a pretty killer board for the price. The AH GL series I think are crap, very cheap, nonmusical preamps with little headroom. Hoever, their ML series consoles are superb. I recoently installed an ML3000 into a local national act Jazz venue, and it is a mor player console in a very small package for around $5k. 24 mic inputs, 2 stereo line inputs with dual sets of inputs per, 8 aux switchable pre/post in two pairs and 4 channel groups (1 pair can be dual mono or stereo with gain and pan) 8 VCA's * mute groups, L/R/Mono and 4 matrix outs and aux all balanced XLR...direct outs...and excellent buy for live mixing, and no bigger than a Soundcraft Spirit 24.

Midas preamps are some of the best going, but the venics lacks in other features, aux sends, eq, etc.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:50 PM

The Series 2 is definitely a great desk for the money. I think Soundcraft redesigned the pre's on the MH-4 to sound more like the high-end Midas desks. It's also a great desk for the money. Pricier than a Series 2. If routing options were the standard, the Allen & Heath would be king. It just doesn't sound as good.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:21 PM

Hummm...did I mention that I was also looking into a MX2424 to accompany this new board? Hot swapable drives to take home for a mixdown into PTLE might be a nice way to go.

So basically what I'm hearing so far is Dollar/channel the Series 2 by soundcraft seems to be the right choice? How do the Series 4 mixer's hold up? I'm not finding a whole lotta info in the MH-4 consoles as far as pricing goes, but I'm in the $3500-$5500 USD price range for a good 24 or 32 ch. board. I would also like to be able to track at least 16 mic/channels.

I have the unfortunate situation of living in the sticks, 300+miles from the nearest pro-desk to really hear the differences, so I'm kind of flying blind here..

The EQ's and Mic Pre's arn't up to par on the Midas Venies desks, eh? Hummm...

Allen & Heath GL3300 series? Any other thoughts?

For dumping the audio into ProTools, the D.O. have to be pre-'Everthing' except the preamp stage. However, what I like about the SoundCraft lines is that the D.O.'s are switchable, should I want to use their EQ during a mixdown...
Old 11-06-2002, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pako:
Hummm...did I mention that I was also looking into a MX2424 to accompany this new board? Hot swapable drives to take home for a mixdown into PTLE might be a nice way to go.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Have you seen the HDR Pro? Opens and saves Protools sessions directly. [URL=http://www.mackie.com/record/hdrpro/index.html]http://www.mackie.com/record/hdrpro/index.html[/ URL]

Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:08 AM

Huh, very interesting. That would be handy wouldn't it? That's basically what I'm I'm looking for. I wonder how the A/D's are in the HDR, MDR, or SDR models. They're quite a bit cheaper than the Tascam MX2424, plus they already have the Analog inputs installed as standard without having to buy another $1500 card just for the inputs..
Old 11-07-2002, 08:17 AM

The reason the Alesis and Makie HDR's are cheaper than the Tascam is because they aren't half as sturdy, and don't sound as good. Try punching in and out as fast as you can across all 24 tracks of the Alesis or the Mackie and you will be spending time rebooting the machine instead of tracking. If you ask any major tour pro, they will tell you to get the Tascam HDR. It also imports time-stamped files directly into Pro-Tools. I believe No Doubt went out on tour with MX-2424's. The MH-4 is in the $20,000 to $30,000 price range. I guess that's out of your budget!!
Old 11-07-2002, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbartunek:
The reason the Alesis and Makie HDR's are cheaper than the Tascam is because they aren't half as sturdy, and don't sound as good. Try punching in and out as fast as you can across all 24 tracks of the Alesis or the Mackie and you will be spending time rebooting the machine instead of tracking. If you ask any major tour pro, they will tell you to get the Tascam HDR. It also imports time-stamped files directly into Pro-Tools. I believe No Doubt went out on tour with MX-2424's.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well punching in/out is not a concern for my application as it will be used as a (live) recording device. All I need to do is arm it, and hit record, then hit stop at the end of a set. Later to be edited in ProTools. It looks like both formats offer that compatibility as well as the portable hard drives for easy transport into a PT session, but the difference in sound quality does bother me just a bit, well actually a lot. Have you heard each one side by side, or is that just the general concensis? I would hate to drop $2500 for a unit today just to need to upgrade to the Tascam later... In a live recording situation (not exactly your ideal recording environment) do you think the difference in sonic quality to be even detectable considering the harsh environment?

Quote:
The MH-4 is in the $20,000 to $30,000 price range. I guess that's out of your budget!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, maybe just a bit... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I started looking into their Series 5 list prices and just about dropped a load in my pants when I saw the price for that little 24ch or 32ch console.. Yikes! So, if I sell my wife, first born and my house then I could go on Tour with a Series 5 console... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It makes the MH-4 seem like a practice rig..

The more I look at 'em, the more appealing the Series 2 consoles seem to be...