Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 09:40 AM

Default Avid Eleven Rack and todays PT2021.10?

Hey all - always interested in a quick and dirty DI Guitar solution so i bought a used Eleven rack - figured it'd go hand n hand with PT. Then i realized this thing is 10 years old! (lol)
So, carelessly i downloaded the Eleven Editor tool and it blew up my Win10 machine to bits.

Just got done rebuilding the machine and now i ask...
Is the Eleven Rack obsolete? Anyone using it with current PT Win10 rigs?
If so, still unsure how the routing (USB in from the Eleven) makes its way into my PT Session?

Any help, insight or insults welcomed! thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2021, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Avid Eleven Rack and todays PT2021.10?

Compatibility info here.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:50 AM

Grr... sorry, wrong link. I'll find you good one. Anyway it is over its end sale date, but it should still be supported. No idea how high priority new drivers for 11r is on Avid's long list, but still, it is supported.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:50 AM

Here is the correct link.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead88 View Post
Just got done rebuilding the machine and now i ask...
Is the Eleven Rack obsolete? Anyone using it with current PT Win10 rigs?
If so, still unsure how the routing (USB in from the Eleven) makes its way into my PT Session?

Any help, insight or insults welcomed! thanks in advance

Forget the Eleven Rack Editor for now, you don't need it. If you want to mess around with it later there are tips floating around for getting it working, but basically it looks like abandonware, was never updated so I would not waste my time.

As for using the Eleven Rack...

it either has to be your interface/Pro Tools playback engine... start by installing the right device driver version. if you create a new session you should see the nice IO names in Pro Tools for all the IO on the box, mic, guitar in, rig out, etc... (I can't recallall the exact names) or if not default the IO and you should see that.

...or...

You use it as an outboard box connected to your interface, either via analog audio or Digital (S/PDIF or AES/EBU). And then you get to configure in the Eleven Rack what signals are sent out those output connections, and if you want to reamp through the Eleven Rack you pick which input is driving the internal rig.

This is a sophisticated, very nice guitar processor, it is not just a "guitar DI", if you just wanted a plug and play DI in front of another interface you should have picked up a Radial DI box or similar. As for an actual guitar processor I would choose an Eleven Rack over most of the stuff in the market (it is maybe not the best box for live work... but that is not what you are asking), knowing one day it will stop having driver support and will then only be usable as an outboard box... but both of mine are connected up that way anyhow. And it is very nice that the Eleven Rack (with Firmware 2.01) and Eleven Mk II and effects plugins are all the same.

And all that sophistication in the Eleven Rack, the different inputs and outputs provided, how you route a signal (might or might not be "guitar in") to the internal rig, all the different internal rig options/devices, how you set what signals are present in digital outputs, how you adjust the confusingly many volume settings, how you find the super useful level meters... all that is in the Eleven Rack documentation which you need to open up and read through as you play around with the Eleven Rack. Start by just playing around with it with stand alone with monitors connected to it, or just use headphones. It will likely take playing around over several days to get to understand the box.

If you get stuck on some specific thing then ask, but describe exactly what you are doing or exactly what instructions you are following and what is not working as you expect.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-02-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:19 PM

You might find the Eleven Rack forum useful.

https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1