Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-15-2004, 04:43 PM

Default ALTIVERB HTDM IS A DOG

I am sitting here for the probebly 100th time as my computer does the same type of crash caused by using the ALTIVERB HTDM plug in. I know this crash well. You hear the reverb stutter and the track starts looping and the whole thing locks up. This never happens without the plug in in the session , and it happens in all our 4 HD rooms.
I just needed to vent.

I have emailed them numerous times , and now they just ignore me. They charge us a large premium to use HTDM , and its totally dodgy. I understand it works fine as a pure native plug in.
what a joke.

I wish I bought TL space now.

anyone else having the same trouble?

thanks

mesh
www.songzu.com
Old 11-15-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Re: ALTIVERB HTDM IS A DOG

Hey there,
Not to be a party stopper... but Altiverb works flawless on my system, I have mixes with 8 mono to stereo reverbs and no hick-ups at all.
Do you have the latest build?
What computer you're using?
Just wanted to chime in....
Old 11-15-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: ALTIVERB HTDM IS A HOG

As Marcello asked, what CPU(s) are you using?

It is pretty well documented that the minimum cpu for one instance of alti is G4/867. In osx, new version is slightly more efficient... I was able to run 2 altis without not much else rtas on a G4/867. With a g5 dual 2.5, I have not exceeded my processor with my dsp needs. I'm sure that will change...

I've changed the title of the subject... it's not a dog, just a bit of a resource hog, and if your cpu is fast, it can be a fat pig, and it won't matter, since you have the power for it.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:33 PM

Hi Marcello,

good to hear it working fine for you...it gives me hope.
It's not hideous, but it adds a level of instabilty that is very annoying. I was venting a bit before.

In all our rooms we have

G5 dual 2 gig/ 10.3.4 /PT 6.7 . It's not a resource thing, it's just with the plug in in any session it crashes so much more often and we have all had the same experiance.

Is it the HTDM technology? I have heard mixed things about HTDM.

thanks

Mesh
Old 11-15-2004, 08:44 PM

>> G5 dual 2 gig/ 10.3.4 /PT 6.7

Are you crashing with PT 6.4 as well?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Hi Marcello,

good to hear it working fine for you...it gives me hope.
It's not hideous, but it adds a level of instabilty that is very annoying. I was venting a bit before.

In all our rooms we have

G5 dual 2 gig/ 10.3.4 /PT 6.7 . It's not a resource thing, it's just with the plug in in any session it crashes so much more often and we have all had the same experiance.

thanks

Mesh
I demo'd Altiverb and TL Space. Waves IR-1 walks all over those.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:

HTDM has been flakey since day one, and still doesn't work properly. While I can't attribute its use to crashes, it does lose the audio on HTDM channels all the time.

I am using IR-1 all the time now under HTDM (Mix) and while there are some issues (like the lost audio) I don't find IR-1 to be overly taxing the system, and routinely run three instances with no problems other than the HTDM related ones.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:22 AM

I think it's high time digidesign said ANYTHING about this issue. It would be nice to know;

1- The reason for the 'missing audio' problem. i.e what the developers are doing wrong. (Altiverb/T-Racks)

2- TDM bus latency/performance comparrison between RTAS & HTDM

I'm bummed that digi won't talk about this and that tech support has not responded to my email about HTDM problems (it's now been a year and a half). However, I have to give credit where credit is due; they did fix the RTAS/HTDM compatibility problems (without acknowledging them), and have made significant MIDI improvements in 6.7.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:23 PM

I cannot give you any specifics on why Altiverb is working so good for me here, but one thing is certain, if you're planning to use HTDM often you should consider getting the fastest CPU you can.
Here is my scenario:
I have a dual 2 gig G5 with 4gig Ram
HD4 Accel
when I'm programming and recording I only use 2 Altiverbs ( long and short Hals), this is because I need some extra CPU power to drive Battery2, Mach5( it has gotten much lighter since the streaming function was added) and Reason ( they are on all of my sessions)
When I'm ready to move to the mixing stage I dump every midi track into audio and then I import 6 more altiverbs from a template session.
I also tend to change the view on all Altiverb IRs if they have the fancy 3D animation it proved to be of some help.
Ultimately, a well maintained system helps more than I wished for, it's amazing how drowned your computer gets if not well maintained (drive permissions and other issues)
I use AppleJack to help keep the house cleaned:
"APPLEJACK
This is a shell script for cleaning up the mess left by system crashes: disk directory errors, buggy caches, corrupted preferences, etc."

I hope it helps
Old 11-16-2004, 01:53 PM

Waves IR-1 HTDM (Waves 5) has worked really well for me zero problems on the other hand Waves 5 HTDM Masters plug-ins are very flakey. So HTDM does work.