Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Re: The Tea Room..

Quote:
Quote:
hybrid, now there's something i think might be good but would i be better off buying an arturia mini moog or another soft synth?
Hi Tim

Digidesign's Hybrid is a good computer-based synthesizer, as with any of the Arturia computer-based synthesizers, IMO., and as the name implies, Hybrid is an amalgamation of Analog-type Subtractive synthesis and Wavetable Sample playback-type synthesis, but Arturia is all Substactive synthesis and the difference comes down to personal taste. Being an owner of both Arturia's Moog Modular V and Digidesign's Hybrid, I will point out that Presets are not of abundance with Hybrid and as far as I see it, with good reason too. Because of Hybrid's simplistic design user created Patches are easily gained, as opposed to Arturia's range, user created Patches are a little bit harder to gain and hence the abundance of Presets. Personal taste. Programmer or tweaker?

filosofem
filo

thanks for the info.

i'd like to get to a point when i could call myself a programmer but truth is i use presets. i keep promising myself to learn the differences between subtractive and fm and the myriad others in order to understand what on earth the different things mean and therefore how they affect the sound ur making but... i'm not a natural at learning from books.

i'm holding fire on buying the thing at the moment. i'll download the 2 day rental when i have 2 clear days to try it out and get to grips with the sound
Old 08-31-2006, 04:39 PM

Tim, do you have a sound in mind that you would like your computer-based synthesizer to be? I mean, are you after a modern sound or a more analog Moog type sound? What sort of music do you create?

filosofem
Old 08-31-2006, 05:50 PM

Tim, you might also want to check out this Quicktime Hybrid tutorial video (Save Target As...) that someone has kindly posted just recently on another thread. I've watched it and it'll give a pretty good clear demonstration of features and sounds.

filosofem
Old 08-31-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
If you've seen the MS download window..you are OK.
Next time when shutting down XP, it will install. And booting up again..will register the updates.
At least that's how it's working here..what WTF do I know ?
I'm just a drumma

bob
nah, actually I believe I located the culprit in my global policy settings. It was the stupid a** DEM setting that was preventing me from making changes to the computer as it was on super mode somehow to not allow changes to software or hardware from any form of software or hardware foreign to the computer. Odd part is that I could download stuff on another machine, bring it over to this machine by thumb drive and it would install, but it wouldn't install if it was in the temp files after you downloaded it from online on this box caus of the DEM.. go figure.. so after an hour of so of hacking my registry I think its playing nice now and waving the white flag of truce... either that or it is waiting for its next attack against me...

as for the win updates, ya never want to do them unless they are crucial to the way your machine functions honestly man. They seem to f*** up more than they do good... atleast in my book. hehe
Old 08-31-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Hi Charlie, hows things? Ummm... I'm not much of a computer guy, but why have you got your Pro Tools rig online? How many computers have you got, do you have a Network? Mac or PC? Both?

filosofem
Hey Aaron, how's the hand coming along there man? things are much better now that an overdue long weekend has come about man Thanks. Don't have my PT rig online actually. I am running 4 systems at the moment (1 XPpro box which has PT on it, 1 XPhome box which is the one giving me the nightmares and I really hate XP pro, but it was cheap so.... my wife has 1 98 box used for general purpose, and then her Mac G4.) I have a network setup, but this issue came about caus the people at Dell are morons... lol they give a guy like me that has been playing with computers for close to 15 years now a computer in what I like to call moron mode and expect me to function, so I thought I had all my custom config hacks in place to make it run the way I wanted til I ran into the download issue.. lol but all is well now caus I think I have fixed it.

at anyrate.. hope things are cool man. peace
Old 08-31-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:

i'd like to get to a point when i could call myself a programmer but truth is i use presets. i keep promising myself to learn the differences between subtractive and fm and the myriad others in order to understand what on earth the different things mean and therefore how they affect the sound ur making but... i'm not a natural at learning from books.

i'm holding fire on buying the thing at the moment. i'll download the 2 day rental when i have 2 clear days to try it out and get to grips with the sound
Tim: just gotta tweak the presets a bit til your ears hear something they like man. Thats half the fun about plugs in the box mate. imagine it like a good beer maker making the best brew, he keeps having to sample it til its right..
Old 09-01-2006, 03:05 AM

Yep, the hand is coming along very nicely, still very restricted thou, but I was able to play a couple of chords day. The things we do, ah? Have a nice long weekend Charlie. Talk to you later.

Cheers.

filosofem
Old 09-01-2006, 05:40 AM

Heading toward the long week end here as well..
Today is the first time I'll record my drums since the canine mishap.
Kit is packed up in the car, stick bag, Mac hard drive loaded, G's are a plentiful in the trunk, intern is arranged to set levels and push record. A happy day
TIM >> thanx a lot for the file..and the teaser sound bytes

My next real session will be a ...get this : master a Hip Hop album ! Never done it before. Can you guys post some advice ? The source audio sound fine..resolution is only 16bit though. Generally well prepared, the client took a lot of my advice in that regard.
Still..I'm a bit lost as to what is the current "good sounding" hip hop record should sound like. To me most are pretty bottom and top heavy..missing detail, warmth and meat in the midrange.

thanx
hb

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-01-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Today is the first time I'll record my drums since the canine mishap.
Kit is packed up in the car, stick bag, Mac hard drive loaded, G's are a plentiful in the trunk, intern is arranged to set levels and push record. A happy day
that´s nice mr. lemixer,
here's something for you, my guitar, your drink>[image]http://es.geocities.com/bombita555/e.jpg[/image]
bad photos though,
be good,
by the way, didn't the dog ate your sticks too?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Cup of tea?

Hows the session going or should I say how was it? Feel good to open it up and let it rip?

filosofem