Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2021, 01:56 PM

Default Re: PT 11 unable to open in Big Sur 11.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
No, sadly, since I am a rookie at OS, I figured it would pretty much be like iOS, and that everything would pretty much work just as it would with a new update. Who would’ve thunk.

Well, if I get a new computer, I will be then stuck for having to upgrade PT, as well, because no new computer is going to run PT 11, in my best guess. That means not only price of a new computer, but another 600 bills to upgrade PT.

I believe I have an older MacBook Pro, from about 2008, that ran PT 11 just fine. I bought this newer one, if you want to call 2017 newer, To minimize the chances that this would happen.
Things aren't that easy in OSX land. Apple has no reason to support third party software that's old. Take for instance 32 bit s/w - no longer supported. You really need to pay attention to the compatibility page https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

You may get away with running an unsupported combo of PT and operating system but you have to acknowledge that there are issues that may arise. AND you have to be computer savvy. For instance I'm running an unsupported combo of OSX 10.13.6 and PT 2021.6 and realize I might run into issues. But I'm happy and can work around problems as they arise.

QAPLA!