Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Default Avid Win7 Optimizations Updated?

I'm pretty sure that in the weeks since I've been preparing to install PT and then actually installed it, the Avid Win7 Optimizations have been updated in the same numbered document here:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349411

Either that, or I've looked at way too much PT10/Win/Native stuff and I've gone a little daffy! However, I think I'm right. These should probably be a sticky or added to the sticky at the top of this subforum.

For example, the previous document talked about video tweaks like disabling bus mastering on your video card. That's not there any more.

First I thought there were two documents floating around, but now it looks like they just updated the document and kept its number. There's probably some useful stuff in there.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Avid Win7 Optimizations Updated?

Yes there has been amendments and yes I too agree that this Knowledge Base article should be pinned to the top of the Pro Tools 9 and Pro Tools 10 Windows forums.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Hope I didn't do any of the "old" optimizations I didn't need to do!

There was one about video card settings that made text appear disjointed as if Clear Type had been deselected. That's one I didn't keep.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissful World View Post

For example, the previous document talked about video tweaks like disabling bus mastering on your video card. That's not there any more.
It's there, but the other way around, they say if it's possible, enable Bus Mastering.

What makes me wonder though is that they suggest to upgrade network adapter drivers... I was in real deep s***t after I let windows update my network card drivers. With even just one track running I got HDD to slow errors. And only with pure luck I was finally able to discover that the fault was with network card driver. Luckily I had the original disc that came with the MOBO so I was able to revert back to original driver and the problem went away.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:14 PM

Good catch. However, are you sure you're looking at the new optimizations? Here's all the video card stuff:

===================================
Update Graphics Driver

In many cases, outdated graphics drivers will not effectively utilize the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), and will instead tax the computerís processor, stealing valuable resources from Pro Tools and causing a noticeable decrease in performance. Therefore, for optimal performance it is required that graphics drivers are kept up to date.

Nearly all computers use a graphics controller (or graphics card) from Nvidia, ATI, or Intel. To find the make and model of your graphics controller, do the following:
Click on the Windows Start button to bring up the Start Menu.
Right-click on Computer, and select ìProperties.î
Click on ìDevice Managerî in the upper-left corner.
Click the triangle next to ìDisplay Adapters.î
Your graphics card model will appear directly below.
Double-click this item to view its properties.
In the ìGeneralî tab, make a note of the model (shown at the top of the window), and the manufacturer.
Select the ìDriverî tab.
Make a note of the driver version and date.

To find the latest driver for your Graphics Controller, go to the appropriate manufacturerís web site:
Nvidia
ATI (AMD)
Intel

Locate the appropriate driver for your graphics controller. If your current driver is earlier than the latest version offered on the manufacturerís website, download and install the latest version.
====================================

Note no mention of bus mastering . . .
Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissful World View Post
Good catch. However, are you sure you're looking at the new optimizations? Here's all the video card stuff:

===================================
Update Graphics Driver

In many cases, outdated graphics drivers will not effectively utilize the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), and will instead tax the computerís processor, stealing valuable resources from Pro Tools and causing a noticeable decrease in performance. Therefore, for optimal performance it is required that graphics drivers are kept up to date.

Nearly all computers use a graphics controller (or graphics card) from Nvidia, ATI, or Intel. To find the make and model of your graphics controller, do the following:
Click on the Windows Start button to bring up the Start Menu.
Right-click on Computer, and select ìProperties.î
Click on ìDevice Managerî in the upper-left corner.
Click the triangle next to ìDisplay Adapters.î
Your graphics card model will appear directly below.
Double-click this item to view its properties.
In the ìGeneralî tab, make a note of the model (shown at the top of the window), and the manufacturer.
Select the ìDriverî tab.
Make a note of the driver version and date.

To find the latest driver for your Graphics Controller, go to the appropriate manufacturerís web site:
Nvidia
ATI (AMD)
Intel

Locate the appropriate driver for your graphics controller. If your current driver is earlier than the latest version offered on the manufacturerís website, download and install the latest version.
====================================

Note no mention of bus mastering . . .
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349411

scroll all the way down and see the very last sentence
Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM

You're the wrong guy to mess with !