Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2003, 04:06 PM

Default About to upgrade, need informed opinions.

I will soon be getting an HD2 and plan on running the Canopus ADVC 100 with it for post work. I was leaning toward the new budget 1ghz with Firewire for the audio drive and a second internal for video. Does anyone have any experience with a similar setup? Does the 1gig have the snot to do the job? FWIW, I do not need OS9.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:19 PM

Default Re: About to upgrade, need informed opinions.

When I was buying recently the 1Ghz was the same price as a dual867. The 867 performance is much better.

PT6 uses more cpu resources than any other application I've seen, and uses up to 75% of both processors for some tasks. I'm sure the application will get a little more fine tuned over time, but I would say get as much cpu as you can.

The drive setup will be fine, (depending on track counts) I can run a session with video using just the two internal drives.

HTH