Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Digital 192i/o fan overkill ??????

When upgrading from Mix to HD, I was mislead by a "digi sales guy" telling me there was no fan in the Digital 192 since there is much less warm components in it. I beleived him and now I'm stuck with a fan noise in what was a very very quiet control room...
Putting it in the machine room is a huge hassle.
Since there's aircon and the rack is very open and free of warm sources, I'm thinking of slowing down the fan or replacing it or even opening the top of the interface...????
Any experiences out there ?????
(It is not an analogue 192 which runs warmer.)

regards

Chris
Old 01-06-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Digital 192i/o fan overkill ??????

Hmm.. my regular 192 fan only makes noise when I first power it on.. the fans then slow down and make barely any sound at all (hard to even know they're on).

What's the ambient temperature of the room where the 192 is in?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-08-2005, 01:57 AM

The room is set around 21°c and the temperature probe at the output fan of the 192 is at 26°C. The variation between room and 192 is always around 5°c.
We 've got another Digital 192i/o in another room, (same temp) which makes the same fan noise...
26°c is really low compared to what I use to have inside my MDD G4. That model with the CPU below the PCI slots was absolutely cooking all my mix cards...I had to add a huge extracting fan at cpu level to take the temp down !

Just to make you , I've installed a RME MADI PCI card with 56 i/o straight to our desk on one very quiet coax cable !!! (for half the price of our 192 upgrade) But that's not Protools.

To anybody out there still with fans in their rooms...try moving those noisy machines somewhere else ! You won't beleive the differents it makes...

regards

Chris
Old 01-08-2005, 06:26 AM

I too have the 192 Digital. I too find the fans too noisey for the control room. Now another 'pretty' peice in the machine room. I usually make sure to bring my clients into the machine room so they see what else they are paying for...silly I know.

I have both the Apogee AD/DA-16X...not a peep. Oh well. I have remotes for my FX units and Samplers, so they're all in the machine room too. Basically, machine room does all things digital, control room all things analog...with a few exceptions of course.

All the best.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:52 PM

Fan overkill is really hard for a very quiet fan cooled unit. I mean, if the "digi sales guy" told me, there is no fan,
but there is one when you open it later,.....- f*** !!

My 192 is in a dammed rack, in the control room and even when the backside of the rack is open, there is no
fan to hear. Sometimes we get over 50° Celsius here then you heaar my cheap aircondition.

Wolfgang
www.linkedin.com/in/marrakechprod
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/name/nm3047395
------------------
Mac Pro 2.8, 8 Core,16 GIG Ram, PT HD 10 - 12. Mac Book Pro 2.6 Retina 16 GIG Ram, Artist Control/MIX.