Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2003, 01:14 AM

Default I HAVE PLAYED WITH THE 002 AT SAM ASH!!!!!!

Oh boy, I do like it, very much. Yet there are some inevitable drawbacks.

I'll start with the good. I played with it for about 3 hours only reaching for the keyboard when i needed to to open a new session and add plugins. The rest was bliss, controlling every parameter(even plugins) from the 002. And it was very responsive. I did a fader volume test where I recorded fast and extreme fader movements on a track. The hardware fader didnt keep up perfectly but the software and audio did. And since they can be set to control plugin parameters, I am already thinking of some crazy flange and phase ideas.

The little displays above the tracks are indispensable. They very quickly let me find out which hard faders control the virtual faders. And when you use plugins they display each plugin parameter that the knobs or faders(flip mode) control. I can keep going but you just have to try it yourself. In short, using protools sessions with 10 tracks or more now seems foolish without the intuitive control of the 002. Digidiesign really has thought of just about everything.

NOW THE DRAWBACKS.

4 mic pres??? what the hell man. You cannot record a live band with 4 mics. the other 4 inputs are line level, requiring an ADDITIONAL mixer. Thats an extra 600.00 minimum to get a good mixer for those last 4 inputs. or am I wrong, can a dynamic mic be used on the balanced 1/4" inputs? I'd much rather pay the extra 600.00 if they were in the 002. 2 mixers for a gig or recording session is no longer portable.

Last drawback. the 002 does not support controlling 3rd party software like logic,cubase, etc. Even though the PC version is now not supported by emagic, I will continue to use logic 5 extensively for music composition because it works so well and fast. And it uses vst synths and effects that PTLE does not. Even if digi does implement control support for logic, it probably wont support logic PC since its now phased out.

I have 2500.00 right now to spend on a control surface/firewire interface that can control logic and protools. right now only the motu firewire896 and mackie control seem to be able to do it. Well in the meantime it seems I have to wait and hold on to my money till I find the right solution. And no one makes a profit.

The digi002 is almost perfect but at the 2500.00 price point it needs to be more perfect and lacking less. Digi, dont make me wait, support logic PC control!!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 02:25 AM

Default Re: I HAVE PLAYED WITH THE 002 AT SAM ASH!!!!!!

Digidesign and Mackie allready announced that the Mackie Control will have a HUI-emulation in it. And since the HUI is supprted by ptle, then the Control will be working with PTLE. So i guess the granted you your wish [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

and i think you can use the mackie-control also in logic btw

Bastiaan
Old 02-05-2003, 11:14 PM

I checked, and from what I know, the hui emulation is mac only right now. the mackie control site mentions nothing on controlling logic, probably since logic control by emagic/mackie is the exact same thing.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:08 AM

Mackie control for ProTools is coming. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
You will have to settle for the HUI or Baby HUI for now, both of which support PT LE on Windows.
But-
The liklihood that PT will provide XP support for an application that has abandoned Windows is about the same as Saddam Hussein joining the New York YMCA. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]