Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM

Question Best way to start stop recording in PT via iPAD/iPhone

Hello all, I run windows 7 64bit, pt 8.04, and I just got a sweet digital piano that I use as a midi controller for Virtual Piano in PT. The digital piano is really far from my daw, and I was looking for a way to easily start and stop recording while sitting in front of it.

so...

I have an iPad and an iPhone.

I've seen ProRemote and AC-7 pro as good remote DAW's for PT on OSX, but I haven't seen any mention of these things working at ALL in Windows, let alone win 7 64 bit.

There is another alternative, which is using Magic Mouse (formerly air mouse pro) to just hit the keyboard shortcut to start and stop recording... the downside to this is that i don't get a nice peak indicator from the the ipad screen.

I dunno, I would really love to hear people's ideas and working setups for remote triggering/tracking.

I would love, i repeat LOVE to use my iPAD to get some visual sweetness, so if someone has had any success with the aforementioned remote daw ipad apps and win7 64bit/pt 8.04, please post and share your rig setup and maybe a quick step by step on how you were able to get it all to function. I know i wouldn't be the only person to be grateful to hear how it was done.

Thanks to all and god bless.

PT LE 8.0.4 | Barebones Windows 7 x64 | Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz OC'ed to 3.01ghz | ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Fan | Asus P5k Deluxe/wifi AP Mobo | 8gb 1066 ddr2 ram | PPC S61EPS 610W 12V power supply | 2x WD 300gb 10,000rpm Velociraptors | MBOX 2 | BCF2000 | MicroKONTROL | Radium 49 | POD X3 | iPAD | Mackie Studio Monitors | and my favorite new addition - Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (the greatest keyboard of all time)
Old 10-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Best way to start stop recording in PT via iPAD/iPhone

HI

I think Avatron´s Air Display might be the right thing for you.
It makes the iPad (even iPod) a 2nd Screen for your PC
http://www.protoolerblog.com/2010/06...-for-your-mac/

and the new App Server also works on Windows now.
http://avatron.com//page.php?q=support

for ProRemote there is also Win7 support is the near future (it seems):
http://apps.folabs.com/Forum/message...start=0&last=0

best
Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 PM

Talking Re: Best way to start stop recording in PT via iPAD/iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnoise View Post
HI

I think Avatron´s Air Display might be the right thing for you.
It makes the iPad (even iPod) a 2nd Screen for your PC
http://www.protoolerblog.com/2010/06...-for-your-mac/

and the new App Server also works on Windows now.
http://avatron.com//page.php?q=support

for ProRemote there is also Win7 support is the near future (it seems):
http://apps.folabs.com/Forum/message...start=0&last=0

best

Thank you for the quick response mindnoise

I gave air display a try this afternoon and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed.
I ran my test by first making sure I stopped any other devices from using any of the wifi bandwidth. A little background first... I have a 54mbps wrt54gs wifi router on the other side of my apartment, but I remedied signal problems a while back by purchasing two 15db antenna replacements and placing reflective tin foil behind the router to redirect the omni-directional wifi signal back towards my daw. I use a mobo that comes with a wifi ap attached by a generously long cable, allowing me to place the receiver as high as possible for better reception. I thought it might be helpful to point this out considering the performance of any of these wifi iPad apps are very much dependent on the quality and strength of the wifi signal.

If you are thinking of using any of these apps, but find that the signal from your router is lacking, you can create an adhoc network connection between your daw and you iDevice. This basically circumvents the router and allows the two devices to communicate directly with one another. If your iDevice is jail broken, I highly recommend MyWi (available from cydia for 9.99) as it makes the process of creating an adhoc connection an instantaneous and painless task.

Ok preamble over...

Here is what I thought of air display
  • Excellent response
  • Installation of the server software was painless and fast on win7 x64
  • Allowed me to drag the protools ui into the iPad window and completely interact with protools, no errors or hiccups whatsoever.

My ONLY beef with this software is that when I wanted to create a new playlist or anything else that has a popup window, the window would pop up on the LCD set as the main monitor and not on the iPad. Granted, I realize I would have this problem with all the other options i mentioned in my first post, so overall It's not a deal breaker. If there was a way to correct this somehow, i would whole heartedly recommend this as the BEST SOLUTION FOR REMOTE DAW CONTROL. The other packages are insanely expensive and don't offer nearly as much of the functionality as air display, because air display brings you the full daw experience right in the palm of your hand, no limited functionality, skins, or communication errors to think about.

When i am recording in front of my daw, i have protools across my two 24" LCD's, when i am ready to track on my digital piano, i just drag the protools window into the air display monitor on my iPad. The 1024x768 display on the ipad is perfect to make all the buttons in the PT UI easy to hit with your finger. When done, I drag it back. No hiccup, no crash, no hui communication errors, no delay whatsoever.

Like i said, if they could find a way to fix the popup window thing, i would be overjoyed. I'm not looking to mix using my iPad, I have two daisy chained bcf2000 units that kick ass for that. For something to let me comfortable track, start/stop recording, have my full transport, and have a visual for where i want to punch in or out, air display is the shiz.

Wow that was a longer post than i had planned to make.

So anyway, thank you mind noise for the heads up. Really happy with air display.

I'm open to other thoughts though if anybody has more suggestions.

PT LE 8.0.4 | Barebones Windows 7 x64 | Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz OC'ed to 3.01ghz | ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Fan | Asus P5k Deluxe/wifi AP Mobo | 8gb 1066 ddr2 ram | PPC S61EPS 610W 12V power supply | 2x WD 300gb 10,000rpm Velociraptors | MBOX 2 | BCF2000 | MicroKONTROL | Radium 49 | POD X3 | iPAD | Mackie Studio Monitors | and my favorite new addition - Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (the greatest keyboard of all time)
Old 10-25-2010, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Best way to start stop recording in PT via iPAD/iPhone

Cool!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 PM

Exclamation Re: Best way to start stop recording in PT via iPAD/iPhone

A little Update regarding AirDisplay and ProTools... Introducing god's gift to the home studio, a program called Actual Multiple Monitors.

I posted on the AirDisplay forum and they responded right away, really nice guys. Didn't have anything concrete for me though, so I kept looking. FOUND THE WORKAROUND. NOW I HAVE THE ULTIMATE REMOTE DAW on my iPAD thanks to a combination of AirDisplay and this prog called Actual Multiple Monitors!!!!!! Hallelujah!

i am posting the workaround here, so people can get in on this sweetness.

Quote:

elliot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> Unfortunately, we don't have any supported
> workarounds for this issue. We haven't tested apps
> like UltraMon but I would suspect they'd work to
> make your iPad/iPhone the main monitor. I'm not
> sure what exactly would happen with the other
> screen though. It's possible the resolution would
> get set to whatever device you're using (iPhone or
> iPad). Other than a third party app like that
> there isn't much we can do on our end to get the
> Windows operating system to recognize your iOS
> device as a full fledged second monitor and have
> it show up in display properties.
>
> Cheers,
> Elliot Chase
> Avatron Software, Inc.

Thank you for the quick response. I completely understand where you're coming from as a support representative. Luckily for the community however, I am fairly obsessed with finding a solution to this problem because in my opinion, your ridiculously close to being the most useful iPhone/iPAD app in the entire AppStore for me as a musician and graphic designer (as it relates to versatility, usefulness, and money saved if an alternative hardware/software solution were to be explored).
So anyway, I did some digging and I found a workaround. There is an third party application called Actual Multiple Monitors which is a god send on so many levels. (I'm glad i found this software on its own merit as its already drastically improved my workflow.

This application is able to recognize multiple graphics adapters. As I mentioned in my first post, the out of box windows xp/7 display properties tool and my graphics card properties tool both do not recognize the additional AirDisplay Graphics adapter making it impossible to set the ADgraphics adapter as the primary monitor. This means that any new window that pops up will default to the primary lcd monitor, forcing me to get up and walk back over to my my pc to be able to interact with the new prompt. Using "Actual Multiple Monitors", this is no longer a problem.
From the website:

Code:

Actual Multiple Monitors is a software utility offering the unique set of productivity tools aimed to enhance the usability of Windows® user interface when working with multi-monitor configurations (dual, triple and more). The smart app emulates standard Windows® services on secondary monitors and provides new window management services to free you from routine clicking and let you concentrate on your work undisturbed:

This app has a multitude of features that let you full take advantage of all your monitors for the first time, including Air Display. Here are some of the main features i've been drooling over...
  1. (this is the money feature right here) custom rules can be created to automatically move/maximize/span windows to a particular monitor or accross multiple monitors, on creation of the window (when it pops up).
  2. In those custom rules, it allows you to designate specific criteria by which the program selects the window to interact with.
  3. Big ON/OFF button in the AMM application to allow you to quickly turn rules on and off, also resides as a quicktray icon
  4. extend the taskbar onto all your additional monitors
  5. clone alt-tab popup to display on all monitors
  6. windows 7 users will be able to enable aero sneak peak on all taskbars
  7. buttons can be added to the title bar of all windows that will allow you to instantly send it to a particular monitor
  8. set different wallpapers/screensavers for all monitors
  9. set a wallpaper/screen saver to span all monitors.
  10. Itunes visualization or other visualization programs can span multiple monitors
So in my case, I downloaded the trial version, which is full functional but lasts only thirty days.

***It took me less that 5 minutes to install this application (tiny memory footprint) and configure a rule that would automatically send all "Protools.exe" windows to the 3rd monitor and automatically maximize it. (AirDisplay is designated as my 3rd monitor)

I started tracking a quick test song within ProTools. When I was ready to lay down a track with my digital piano i just followed these steps:
  1. launched AirDisplay from iPAD
  2. using the AirDisplay icon in the system tray, i connected to the iPad (it was instantaneous with no detriment to ProTools)
  3. Drag my Protools window into the AirDisplay screen on my iPad
  4. From the "actual multiple monitors" system tray icon, i quickly enable the rule I had created to forward ProTools windows to monitor 3
  5. Walked over to my Piano and started tracking. Went to create a new track and BAM the "new track" prompt shows up on the iPAD, I tap ok
  6. recorded a take and wanted to create a new playlist, hit the dropdown in the edit window and touched "new playlist", tapped ok, BAM new playlist
No getting up, no moving, no interrupting my flow while tracking on the piano. FOOKIN AWESOME

When I was done, I walked back over to my computer, clicked the AMM systray icon to disable the protools rule, dragged my window back to lcd 1, went back to sitting in front of my daw with no problem. no crash, just a whole hell of a lot of freedom and enhanced workflow.

If I could get your developers at AirDisplay to have a slumber party with the developers of AMM and produce an enhanced AirDisplay love child, I dare say I would explode with delightfully fuzzy joy.

Like I said though, AMM opens up so many features that are totally "duh" features. Like the iPad, once you start using it, you'll wonder how the hell you got along without it.

Highly recommended... can you tell?

any chance of an update that will allow airdisplay the ability to designate which monitor popup windows appear in, like the mac version of the server software with it's accessibility workaround?

Sincerely,

Christian Guerrero
Colavoce07/NJ Soul