Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-11-2022, 10:25 AM

Default Drums Playlists - Groups Not Working in Waveform Mode

Hi guys,

I’m in PT 12.5 on a Mac. I’m trying to do some drum comping. I have 4 playlists, different performances of the same song, trying to comp together the best parts of each take into one.

I have all drums into one group. When I’m in playlist mode, switching between each of the 4 playlists works well and when you switch from one playlist to another, it switches all drums accordingly.

However, when I go to ‘waveform’ mode, it stops working. Meaning, when I switch from one playlist to another, it only switches the one drum and leaves the other drums in the old playlist, even though all drums are selected and in group mode.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Old 08-11-2022, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Drums Playlists - Groups Not Working in Waveform Mode

Were the drum tracks grouped and groups turned on when the playlists were created?
Old 08-11-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Were the drum tracks grouped and groups turned on when the playlists were created?
No. The drums were not grouped until after the playlists were already recorded.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
No. The drums were not grouped until after the playlists were already recorded.
Then they will never switch following groups...stupid, but that's how it is. If you click on the playlist arrow and look at the drop down menu of playlists on a track, there will be a number in parentheses after the playlist name. If you make the playlists in the same action, all those numbers will be the same and the playlists will follow groups. If those numbers don't match, they won't switch following groups. One quick workaround is to highlight all the tracks and use the Shift+<up or down arrows> to cycle through the groups. This will switch all the highlighted tracks in unison.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Then they will never switch following groups...stupid, but that's how it is. If you click on the playlist arrow and look at the drop down menu of playlists on a track, there will be a number in parentheses after the playlist name. If you make the playlists in the same action, all those numbers will be the same and the playlists will follow groups. If those numbers don't match, they won't switch following groups. One quick workaround is to highlight all the tracks and use the Shift+<up or down arrows> to cycle through the groups. This will switch all the highlighted tracks in unison.
Hope that helps.
Thank you! That’s a bummer it won’t work unless you record with groups already created first! I will try the workaround you suggested though. All the best.