Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2022, 01:10 AM

Default do people still punch in? destructive record crashes

I am going down a list of fixes - punching into the mix and stems - I've done around 200 points today I can totally replicate this crash

if I try to redo *the exact same* destructive record. ( ie insertion point and out point not moving it will crash - it even locks up the crash reporter..

just face palmed myself for forgetting again! ofcourse I am saving every 2 mins..

Any one else have this issue?
Old 04-02-2022, 08:40 AM

Default Re: do people still punch in? destructive record crashes

With drive space so affordable, must you use destructive record? Could it be related to your ancient interface? Or the adapters to get FW400 connected?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-02-2022, 03:13 PM

just a workflow I am comfortable in.

record out Mix 5.1 + D M E M+E also doing Stereo folds at the same time.

10 lots of stems - thats a lot bouncing

and I dont usually have 200 points - when QC'ing sometimes just one or 2. so punching in is quick and you know its done as the rest of the file has been QC'd

interface is fine for days at a time = just destructive record if I punch the same same point twice?

come on bud its a software issue - I had this on PT11 as well in High Sierra
Old 04-02-2022, 03:47 PM

If lots of folks were seeing problems with destructive record, and I suspect enough folks do use it, I think you would be seeing screams here.

Is this only in 5.1? Or you can make it happen in stereo? In a simple session? Or only one/few large sessions?

Have you tried all the standard troubleshooting steps? Trashed prefs, removed plugins files? Tried starting from an empty session, If it looks like any chance it might be the session, try a Save Copy In. Tried as a new admin user? etc. etc. ? Even if it you really strongly believe is a standard Pro Tools software bug, just play the game and do the standard stuff, it should not take much time and should speed up you getting attention from support or other users here.

Have you filed a case with Avid support? Got a case number? Share it here if you want to try to get more attention on it. If you have a reproducible crash share it with Avid support.

What do the Pro Tools logs show? Long shot, and cryptic, but compare a crash to a good session use. ~/Library/logs/Avid/Pro*
Old 04-02-2022, 05:11 PM

fork: FWIW, I've never seen this and I spend a lot of time in Destructive Punch mode. I'm quite sure I've made the same punch in and out multiple times with the current PT on Mojave. If I had to guess, you need to trash your Workspace Database files. That has cleared up weird disk stuff for me before.

albee: disks are inexpensive, but on a film mix with a zillion stems of different widths, doing regular punch and then consolidating takes a long time. We almost never go back to earlier versions of the stems, so destructive punch is a great workflow. And even more so when hitting QC notes. Fast and accurate.

Last edited by reichman; 04-03-2022 at 06:43 AM. Reason: misspelled 'accurate'
Old 04-02-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If lots of folks were seeing problems with destructive record, and I suspect enough folks do use it, I think you would be seeing screams here.
just wondered as quite a few may be making the move up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Is this only in 5.1? Or you can make it happen in stereo? In a simple session? Or only one/few large sessions?

Have you tried all the standard troubleshooting steps? Trashed prefs, removed plugins files? Tried starting from an empty session, If it looks like any chance it might be the session, try a Save Copy In. Tried as a new admin user? etc. etc. ? Even if it you really strongly believe is a standard Pro Tools software bug, just play the game and do the standard stuff, it should not take much time and should speed up you getting attention from support or other users here.

Have you filed a case with Avid support? Got a case number? Share it here if you want to try to get more attention on it. If you have a reproducible crash share it with Avid support.

What do the Pro Tools logs show? Long shot, and cryptic, but compare a crash to a good session use. ~/Library/logs/Avid/Pro*
No entry in the logs - the crash reporter also freezes..

I see your trouble shooting tips thanks, trashed prefs, changed drives etc - it potentially could have a project based as I was having this on the old
machine too ( PT11 and High sierra )

trcking it down will take time - I think I will just keep on remembering to save often and keep the 'insertion follws playback on' until the delivery. might have a go next week when nothing on

if anyone else runs into this I'd be interested..
Old 04-02-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
fork: FWIW, I've never seen this and I spend a lot of time in Destructive Punch mode. I'm quite sure I've made the same punch in and out multiple times with the current PT on Mojave. If I had to guess, you need to trash your Workspace Database files. That has cleared up weird disk stuff for me before.

albee: disks are inexpensive, but on a film mix with a zillion stems of different widths, doing regular punch and then consolidating takes a long time. We almost never go back to earlier versions of the stems, so destructive punch is a great workflow. And even more so when hitting QC notes. Fast and acccurate.
thanks Reichman - will give that a go. cheers
Old 04-02-2022, 08:49 PM

This sounds like a disk access speed issue. Consider using pre/post roll with destructive record. Maybe 1sec minimum. Also, try increasing your disk cache if you can afford the RAM. I prefer to be safe when destructive recording and allow Pro Tools to buffer some data prior to actually punching in.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:55 PM

Are your playback and record drives the same? When working on the same system for PB and Destructive record, I've always had a separate record drive.

Never had issues when it was like that.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:50 PM

ok will try upping the buffer thanks

playback drive is seperate to the project drive..

its SSD as well

have trashed the prefs with the PT prefs app. and also used the go function outlined above..

I will no doubt forget again - its just so easy to leave it in record monitor and just punch in the notes.... mostly a monster thats either too loud or too quiet..