Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Avid

Default Re: Eucon 3.3 and again, the lack of requested features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
This is copy and pasted from another forum I posted in.

Eucontrol 3.3 and still no feature updates to the Artist Series Controllers. After recently updating to v3.3 I'm saddened that Avid has decided to roll out the VCA spill feature to the S3 controllers only. This has been a feature that has been asked for all over the discussion boards. I'm growing weary of Avid supporting only its newer hardware instead of honoring its existing hardware owner's requests. I understand that the Artist Series controllers are considered "old" by Avid's standards, however, that doesn't mean Avid should stop rolling out new features to these devices. It would be nice to see that Avid actually cares that these units still exist instead of just ignoring the fact that there are probably more Artist series users out there than S3 users. Please Avid, support your legacy hardware as long as it continues to work.

EUCON is a conduit between every Avid control surface in the market and over 40 applications with adapters. Every new product introduction and feature or bug fix has implications across the entire portfolio of EUCON aware software and hardware. It takes time to develop and test, and while we've taken great strides to improve our beta programs and release cadence, inevitably we will miss some things, and not everything everyone wants will make a release. The fact that the products do continue to work, 7 years after their introduction, and continue to be updated and improved, should be indicative of our commitment to these products and our user base.

JC
Old 08-18-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist PM View Post
fact that the products do continue to work, 7 years after their introduction, and continue to be updated and improved, should be indicative of our commitment to these products and our user base.

JC
so we should be "Greatful" that the products we bought less than a year ago new and btw are still sold new are working and being updated?!

Come On Man! That is a REALLY weird comment!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
so we should be "Greatful" that the products we bought less than a year ago new and btw are still sold new are working and being updated?!

Come On Man! That is a REALLY weird comment!
Actually, I was making a comparison to other control surfaces which do not have an actively developed control protocol.

Artist Series continue to receive OS updates, work with latest versions of EUCON aware DAWs, and while the cadence isn't as fast and furious as during the first few years of the product lifecycle, we do continue to incrementally improve their functionality.

JC
Old 08-18-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Actually, I was making a comparison to other control surfaces which do not have an actively developed control protocol.

Artist Series continue to receive OS updates, work with latest versions of EUCON aware DAWs, and while the cadence isn't as fast and furious as during the first few years of the product lifecycle, we do continue to incrementally improve their functionality.

JC
That's because there are no other control protocols, you have no competition.

That's the problem, too. If there was something else like Eucon that all of the major DAW makers supported, with control surface hardware that ties-in just as well at a similar price.. I bet the cadence would be fast and furious again, otherwise the business would go where the features and reliability were best.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:08 AM

If you check out what Neyrinck V-Control Pro is doing with the HUI protocol it would be interesting to see what you could do with an open EuCon...

ProControl, Command 8, Icons all worked well from the start.

with EuCon surfaces there was a long "beta" phase...
same is true for the new iPad app. In the state it is right now? I don't know why I should use it if I there is V-Control...
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 08-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
That's because there are no other control protocols, you have no competition.

That's the problem, too. If there was something else like Eucon that all of the major DAW makers supported, with control surface hardware that ties-in just as well at a similar price.. I bet the cadence would be fast and furious again, otherwise the business would go where the features and reliability were best.
Mackie Control
HUI
OSC
MIDI
Steinberg proprietary protocols

All competitive protocols.

We did something no other company had done at the time. Ethernet bi-directional control with higher resolution feedback and communication, touch sensitive, motorized controls, more expandability and options for entry points than any preceding control surface. With a small team at a small company, that has only been augmented and expanded upon since Avid acquired Euphonix and EUCON.

New technologies take time. EUCON is now mature and continues to be developed and improved. Go to Ideascale. Vote for what you want. We'll show you progress.

JC
Old 08-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
If you check out what Neyrinck V-Control Pro is doing with the HUI protocol it would be interesting to see what you could do with an open EuCon...

ProControl, Command 8, Icons all worked well from the start.

with EuCon surfaces there was a long "beta" phase...
same is true for the new iPad app. In the state it is right now? I don't know why I should use it if I there is V-Control...
It's not in beta. We can admittedly add a ton of features to the app. We released a small set of features with solid connectivity because we wanted you to tell us what you want.

We are going to continue adding features to and developing bug fixes for EUCON, Artist Series, Pro Tools | S3, and Pro Tools | Control.

JC
Old 08-19-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Mackie Control
HUI
OSC
MIDI
Steinberg proprietary protocols

All competitive protocols.

We did something no other company had done at the time. Ethernet bi-directional control with higher resolution feedback and communication, touch sensitive, motorized controls, more expandability and options for entry points than any preceding control surface. With a small team at a small company, that has only been augmented and expanded upon since Avid acquired Euphonix and EUCON.

New technologies take time. EUCON is now mature and continues to be developed and improved. Go to Ideascale. Vote for what you want. We'll show you progress.

JC
None of those are competitive protocols. Mackie Control and HUI are ancient, not being improved upon, and I cannot believe you really listed MIDI.

OSC? Well the most you can do with that is send midi-like commands akin to mackie control.

A Eucon device is more deeply integrated into DAW functionality than anything else, short of steinberg's protocol which only works with steinberg stuff.

I'd just like to see some *faster* progress now. The linear knobs thing is one of the most requested features. It would be great to finally have that, in the next release.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
None of those are competitive protocols. Mackie Control and HUI are ancient, not being improved upon, and I cannot believe you really listed MIDI.

OSC? Well the most you can do with that is send midi-like commands akin to mackie control.

A Eucon device is more deeply integrated into DAW functionality than anything else, short of steinberg's protocol which only works with steinberg stuff.

I'd just like to see some *faster* progress now. The linear knobs thing is one of the most requested features. It would be great to finally have that, in the next release.
They are competitive protocols, and you have just reinforced my point - unlike other connectivity protocols, EUCON is actively developed for features and bug fixes.

Expect fixes from this board and Ideascale coming quickly.
Some features/fixes are bigger than others, and require architectural changes and extensive testing cycles. We're a small team, but we're motivated.

JC
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM

Most of us are still very wary of Avid for good reason how they have treated us and the Pro Tools brand... I am encouraged seeing the Eucon team continuing to post amid the unsettled eucon and pro tools users...

We're all super critical right now, but come through and prove over time to us you're committed to making Eucon/Pro Tools the best it can be and the user base will continue to be loyal to the brand. Avid has a long way to go in my opinion to right the ship's direction, not just for our sake and continued support, but for sake of not losing out on the new generations of DAW users that could further keep Pro Tools at top instead of feeling the neglect from hearing current users and starting out elsewhere.

I VERY much look forward to seeing progress and really hope better times are ahead.