Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-25-2005, 08:11 PM

Default A couple questions

hey all, i just have a real brief question. i've done a bit of recording over the past couple years with the Mbox and PTLE 6.4, and considering i used to work on an old 4 track, this is amazing stuff. the one thing i've noticed though is that most of my tracks don't have a lot of that natural ambience so to speak. it sounds very digital for lack of a better term (which is ironic i know, considering it is all digital recording) and i was wondering what some "tricks of the trade" were as to getting a warmer and more natural sound, mostly on the guitar and bass, as my drums and other stuff all programed. kinda vauge, but if anyone has a tip, would be glad to be able to give it a try.

peace,
Bender
Old 09-25-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: A couple questions

McDSP AC1 and AC2. One of many many tips.

Lexicon PSP 42. Great on guitars. More info.

A thread that may be of interest to you.

Another BIG tip. Getting a summed analog console sound with McDSP Analog Channel 2. Scroll down to the bottom. Pro Technique number 2.

Another tip that may be of interest to you.

As ironic as it may seem, add some noise to your track. I myself recorded the noise floor of an SSL board with a pile of outboard gear plugged in. I add this to some of my mixes. Some times things are just WAY to clean in the digital world. Noise can be your friend.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-04-2005, 01:37 AM

For warmth, a good condensor mic and a nice tube preamp can work wonders for an acoustic guitar. Also, if you're looking for some real life ambience, you can try recording in a bedroom that has some decent acoustics. Set up like you're going to record the guitar normaly, but run an extra mic somewhere else in the room that won't cause phasing to pic up the natural reverb of the room. When you mix everything together in the end, you can control the amount of natural ambience that goes through...I was taught that from a professor at berklee college of music, and have tried it on several occasion myself...hope it helps-
Old 10-04-2005, 03:51 AM

Quote:

Another BIG tip. Getting a summed analog console sound with McDSP Analog Channel 2. Scroll down to the bottom. Pro Technique number 2.

Shane

Excuse my ignorance but where can one buy this plugin from??
Blog For Beats Facebook
My Twitter
Old 10-04-2005, 06:10 AM

Shane already gave the link to their website (where you can buy the plugin) above : McDSP AC1 and AC2.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-04-2005, 08:15 AM

Sorry I had just woke up
Blog For Beats Facebook
My Twitter