Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-22-2023, 08:11 AM

Default Mac Studio M1 Max

Question regarding power consumption with these new M1 Mac Studio units .. depending how many peripherals I attach to the computer I'll get an error message saying attached peripheral won't mount or whatever other message due to not enough power available..

I recently tried to connect an HD Native Thunderbolt box directly to a Apple converter T3 to T2 and was immediately faced with this message.
My current work around is I have an older Call Digit T2 Hub and use that to feed the signal into the Avid Native Box.. it works

That all being said if I attach additional items like hard drives etc to additional T3 ports I'll periodically get thw dame message. Major weird never had this kind of issue with the Trash can units.
My plan was to use an older Aja Ttap t2 version and plug directly into the Mac studio with an appke adapter but it wont work if the Native Interface is attached. If I unplug the HD Inteface and plug in the AJA into my Hub it works however plug-ins in the Native box directly into the Mac won't supply enough power.. quite the conundrum. Just trying to understand what if anything can be done.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 03-22-2023, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Mac Studio M1 Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
Question regarding power consumption with these new M1 Mac Studio units .. depending how many peripherals I attach to the computer I'll get an error message saying attached peripheral won't mount or whatever other message due to not enough power available..

I recently tried to connect an HD Native Thunderbolt box directly to a Apple converter T3 to T2 and was immediately faced with this message.
My current work around is I have an older Call Digit T2 Hub and use that to feed the signal into the Avid Native Box.. it works

That all being said if I attach additional items like hard drives etc to additional T3 ports I'll periodically get thw dame message. Major weird never had this kind of issue with the Trash can units.
My plan was to use an older Aja Ttap t2 version and plug directly into the Mac studio with an appke adapter but it wont work if the Native Interface is attached. If I unplug the HD Inteface and plug in the AJA into my Hub it works however plug-ins in the Native box directly into the Mac won't supply enough power.. quite the conundrum. Just trying to understand what if anything can be done.
I can't speak to all of the peripherals that you're attempting to use, but I will note that if you have an M1 Max model, the ports on the front of the computer are USB-C, and NOT Thunderbolt 4 (the ones on the M1 Ultra are TB4. Confusing, right?). So if you want to power any devices via Thunderbolt, definitely use the rear ports.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-22-2023, 11:41 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'm very aware of that. Everything I've been plugging in is directly in back. I may have to have a chat with Apple and see if maybe there's a defect with the unit.

So based on all these peripherals technically I should be getting power to them all yet I'm not .. I'm also wondering if I should perhaps aquire a power supply for the Native thunderbolt regardless that's its supposed to be bus powered and if that would remove the low power notification. Or would the powersupply serve zero purpose.
My M1 Max Studio is the highest model available. 10 core cpu 32 core GPU 64 gigs Ram.
coryrizos.com
Old 03-22-2023, 12:02 PM

EDIT: THIS IS ALL WRONG - IGNORE.

TB2 ports don't carry power so a TB3-TB2 convertor won't power a device.
USB-C ports have two-way power capability (can charge a device or call power from a device), but Thunderbolt 2 does not support any power delivery. Thunderbolt 3 may support power delivery but it isn't guaranteed.

In this case, USB-C is the port type and that can carry USB data or TB data, but a dedicated TB port (i.e. a TB1 or TB2 port) does not carry power.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 03-22-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:05 PM

TB2 carries up to 10W (all TB actually.) So it does have power -- just not much.

TB3 (and TB4) take advantage of USB power delivery to transmit up to 100W.

(this is only for copper cabling -- optical cabling carries no power)
Old 03-22-2023, 01:21 PM

EDIT: THIS IS ALL WRONG - IGNORE.

My mistake then, although I can’t find it in the specs for TB2.
Apple is clear though - the TB3 to TB2 adapter does not carry power.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 03-22-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
TB2 ports don't carry power so a TB3-TB2 convertor won't power a device.
USB-C ports have two-way power capability (can charge a device or call power from a device), but Thunderbolt 2 does not support any power delivery. Thunderbolt 3 may support power delivery but it isn't guaranteed.

In this case, USB-C is the port type and that can carry USB data or TB data, but a dedicated TB port (i.e. a TB1 or TB2 port) does not carry power.

Dominic

You're overcomplicating the topic a bit, I think. The HD Native Thunderbolt box is a TB1 device. It was designed to use the bus power supplied by TB1 ports, because all thunderbolt ports do indeed supply power. If they didn't, external SSD drives, or card readers, etc wouldn't work without an external power supply.

I can say that first hand having used a HD Native Thunderbolt interface with only bus power on TB2 Macs and TB3 Intel Macs via an Apple TB2 -> TB3 adapter. It works just fine. That adapter won't give you the power specs of a TB3 port, but it certainly doesn't remove the power specs of TB1 & TB2. If it did, the roof would have collapsed with endless complaints about how everyones TB1/2 peripherals suddenly ceased to work. So, let's put that to bed and move onto the issue at hand.

There are a few things that could affect the power. Long cable lengths, which from memory is why Avid provided a 12VDC power socket in the back of the HDN TB box. The TB2->TB3 adapter could be cactus...

Or this could potentially be an early sighting of Thunderbolt incompatibility. Intel have stated that TB4 doesn't support TB2 or earlier devices. Apple's implementation of TB4 in a bunch of their models isn't quite up to the TB4 spec that Intel has defined.

Has anyone successfully used the HDN TB box with newer Apple Silicon models? I have read plenty of comments from people using the PCIe version via TB PCIe enclosure, but haven't seen many mentions of the thunderbolt model specifically. Makes me wonder if this has all factored into Avid's decision to pull the pin on HDN entirely.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
You're overcomplicating the topic a bit, I think..
That's very polite of you. I'm just incorrect!

My above posts now edited to ensure no one takes any notice of them.

As you were...........

Dominic
Old 03-22-2023, 03:06 PM
Avid

Yes, using HDNTB with TB2->TB3 adapter on Apple Silicon here every day, and no issues to speak of.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 03-22-2023, 07:52 PM

Awesome responses folks. So a few things .. I have successfully been able to use the HDN t2 box directly off the T4 ports in back of the Mac studio if I don't have all ports being used up by other devises. I've managed to get that up and running with 3 Monitors Max one of which would be via the hdmi on the Mac itself.

Currently my set up is as follows.
Tb4 #1 mac out put to CallDigit tb2 devise ( which is powered via a power supply) using tb2 apple adaptador , CallDigit tb 2nd port out to HDN tb devise. + im using HDMI out on the hub to computer mon#1
TB4 #2 usb 3 to HDMI Mon 2
TB4 #3 usb 3 to HDMI Mon 3
TB4 #4 Unusable
MAC Studio HDMI out to 4k Samsung TV
The little adapters that have hdmi out also have USB ports in some cases I can attach drives but in some cases I'll get no power available warnings.

This configuration works over all

When I attempt to add any other type of peripheral to the empty TB4 PORT I consistently get the Not Eniugh power available warning.
coryrizos.com