Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 09-09-2022, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Interfaces considered a "step up" from the Avid I|O?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
One of the guys I was talking to uses an RME and he swears by it. And also mentioned Totalmix as a plus.
Despite my use of the MTRX for Pro Tools, an RME is always in the mix (actually a few RME units.) And every non-HDX system under my control is based around RME.
Because reliability and flexibility and long-term support.
Can't beat them. (and they are always advancing technology -- from the best drivers to always improving conversion)
Old 09-09-2022, 08:47 PM

I also use RME. Always recommended.

The Apogees are really nice too.

Metric Halo are great but supply is an issue at the moment.

I'm highly in favor of ditching Digilink. It's a handicap unless you have a specific (HDX) need.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:45 AM

Any time I'm close to pulling the trigger I find a shortcoming. There are several great sounding A/Ds but any scenario, so far, is just not quite right. I have some complex monitoring paths that I need to maintain, so a completely new interface, like the MTRX, would require accommodations that become more complicated or more expensive, and usually both.

All I'd really wanted from this was improved A/D on a few of the channels -- most of the rest of the Avid I|O is cutting the mustard just fine -- so I'm looking back at the simplest options. Like an external A/D converter which goes into the Avid via AES, or the Black Lion mod. The problem with the BLA mod is that it's final. Once done, that's it. With an external A/D, I can demo a few and return if the results aren't ideal.

Currently considering a Burl 2-channel A/D. Possibly a Lavry but the Blues are discontinued and I can't merit a Savitr (a current product) for the home studio.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:30 PM

My home studio Apogee has 2 ins and 6 outs card, perfect for few inputs and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-12-2022, 06:51 AM

You might have landed on the right solution for you then.

I believe most users move away from HD I/O and Digilink precisely to change routing and accommodation. Not for better conversion.

I've never used a Burl but people seem to love them.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:50 PM

Jan from DAD had some interesting things to say about the difference(s) between the MTRX and the MTRX Studio. It was copied here -- some of you may have seen it. In a nutshell, he was suggesting that the converters in the Studio were just a shade under the MTRX in terms of sonics. They are not the same. He'd said that they're still happy to put their name on the Studio, and mentioned that a couple times. I don't know that I'd ultimately be happy with a Studio knowing that I could jump up a step with the MTRX. And yes, certainly the difference will be more in my head than in the speakers, as I'm sure both are very good, but I've learned that those Brain Trolls -- knowing that you could have better than what you currently have -- don't go away easily and come back to haunt me. So if it's to be a MTRX it would need to be the big one. But I think that's just too much of a change for me to consider.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:58 PM

Anyone familiar with the Prism Titan?
Old 09-16-2022, 03:16 PM

After a tireless search, I ended up purchasing an Atlas. This can become the new Master (via Digilink) and the existing Avid HD can clock to it and be used for add'l ins/outs. It's more than I'd planned on spending but should quiet those voices that whisper about conversion quality.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:16 PM

Conversion quality past 192 interface is like discussing which shade of red you want your Ferrari painted.. the talent is on the other side of the mic (or steering wheel).

With that said I am *REALLY* loving DA quality of Apogee and combined with Genelec 5.1 monitoring I can really trust what I am hearing.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Conversion quality past 192 interface is like discussing which shade of red you want your Ferrari painted.. the talent is on the other side of the mic (or steering wheel).
As I'd mentioned above, I think the Avid HD converters are very good (Ferraris), and there's nothing wrong with them per se, but I've heard better (Bugattis?) and wanted to explore any areas where I might make improvements, however small. No question, talent is more important than gear, but I'm the one using this stuff, so whatever talent I have or do not have remains completely consistent with whatever gear I use, so it does actually come back to the gear in this case.

To Black Lion: iron out your tech support issues. Had you responded in a timeframe of less than 1 week then you'd have hooked me into a $2k+ mod. The Prism will be the better option for me, so it worked in my favor that they dropped the ball.

I have Genelecs here as well and have been a devotee for a couple decades. I don't know if you've upgrade to the latest version of GLM 4.2 (assuming you're using DSP) but I'm very happy with the subtle improvements made by this week's new room profile. It subtly cleaned up an already clean audio presentation. The cloud computation concept is smart -- they can continue improving how data is analyzed and room models are developed on their side without requiring new hardware from us, and I dig the ability to store profiles in the cloud.