Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2008, 09:32 PM

Default MBox 2 Pro/Macbook - Please Help!

I got my hardware about 6 months ago and have not had time to use it until now, thereby ruining any possibility of technical support. (3$ a min is just not possible) Now I have hooked everything up and when I plug my guitar up I am seeing response on input 1 when the mic button is pushed in, as well as response on the input level in system preferences. However, there is nothing coming through the monitors and when I try to record, it is not recording any signal at all. If someone could help, it would be amazing. I can provide more information if needed.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 PM

Default Re: MBox 2 Pro/Macbook - Please Help!

Describe your setup in detail for more accurate help. For instance, if your speakers are hooked up the the computer, that doesn't work as they need to be hooked up to the Mbox outputs. Can you hear anything with headphones plugged into the Mbox? Have you read the manual(specifically the part about the MIX knob)? What do you mean by".....as well as response on the input level in system preferences"?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-11-2008, 10:36 PM

Okay, so I got the monitors to work, as well as response within the instrument track by configuring the analog inputs and outputs. When I enable the track to record and press record and play on the top, it is not laying down the data. I hooked up an external hd to allocate the space, thinking that may be the problem, but this has not worked. Everything seems to be picking up, it is just not actually recording my instrument.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 12:13 AM

Post Re: MBox 2 Pro/Macbook - Please Help!

I'm gonna make a bit of a leap here, since you mentioned "instrument track"...

If you are recording on an Instrument Track it's actually 'listening' for MIDI Data - it won't record audio. You should be creating an Audio Track to record an audio source. Instrument Tracks are typically used with Virtual Instrument Plug-Ins (e.g Xpand) so that you can have MIDI and audio happening on the same track (this used to require a MIDI Track and an Aux Track). See Chapter 10 in the Pro Tools Ref Guide for more info on track types.

If I missed the mark here please provide more details, thanks!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:34 AM

I thought that Audio Tracks are for importing audio. This type of track does not even pick up my instrument, even after setting the i/o. According to the reference guide, this seems to be the case.

Thank you,
Josh
Old 10-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh43299 View Post
I thought that Audio Tracks are for importing audio. This type of track does not even pick up my instrument, even after setting the i/o. According to the reference guide, this seems to be the case.
Time to re-read that guide. As previously mentioned, Instrument tracks are for MIDI data, you need to create an Audio track to record your guitar.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:50 PM

Would that not be what a midi track is for? The instrument track is picking up my instrument, but not recording. When I use an audio track it doesnt even do that, with the same i/o settings as the instrument track.

Garageband is working with it, but I don't want to use this over protools
Old 10-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Would that not be what a midi track is for? The instrument track is picking up my instrument, but not recording. When I use an audio track it doesnt even do that, with the same i/o settings as the instrument track.
You need to record enable the audio track and/or toggle input only/auto monitoring.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 12-27-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
To try to clarify further... An Instrument Track is like a combo MIDI and Aux Track. It allows you to have MIDI data and a Virtual Instrument (e.g. Xpand) on a single track.

If you are recording audio, then you should create an Audio Track.