Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 01-11-2022, 01:17 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio & AES Outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
BScout already corrected this, but to be clear DAD makes the MTRX and MTRX Studio. With DADman capabilities and Dante networking focus. They don't make the Carbon, with no DADman capabilities and AVB networking. Quite interesting decisions, to re-badge/build with such differences, had to have been made by two very different teams
Yup I stand corrected I think I was thinking Carbon unit.. My bad..
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-11-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
MTRX and MTRX Studio devices both offer excellent conversion quality in addition to flexibility of routing, monitoring and audio patching. Avid works with NTP/DAD who manufactures both devices to ensure that the operation, drivers and any interactions with Pro Tools and EUCON are reliable.

For many, MTRX Studio will be sufficient with a generous complement of analog, Dante and ADAT connections.

MTRX is our flagship interface offering which is leaps and bounds beyond the conversion quality of HD IO. It also offers massive expansion via MADI, Dante and key - DigiLink, which can be leveraged to bridge multiple Pro Tools based rigs for multi-workstation workflows.

Here are a few different options for converting between ADAT and AES:

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-4-dd.html

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-4.php

For simply applications like a stereo reverb - the AVIO could possibly do the trick:

https://www.audinate.com/products/de...ante-avio#aes3

There are also some AES3 -> Dante converters which could be used if you wanted to pull from your complement of IP Audio on the MTRX Studio such as:
https://www.sonifex.co.uk/de/avn/avn-dio19.shtml

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Yeah thanks Jeff. my bad on my mistakenly quoting you on the MTRX and MTRX Studio.

Here is what I got back from the source in and email a moment ago since I was sort of curious earlier today..

"Hi Greg,

Thanks for your e-mail.

The MTRX Studio is indeed designed and manufactured by DAD in Denmark, and also controlled by the same DADman software as the "regular" MTRX. The Avid Carbon is however NOT made by DAD, that is maybe where the confusion comes from.

There's a lot of reasons for the price difference between the regular MTRX and the MTRX Studio. For example, it is more expensive to manufacture a modular unit like the MTRX as opposed to the non-modular MTRX Studio. A modular unit requires more internal connectors, an extra board, etc. Another example is that the internal audio router in the MTRX is approx. 1500 x 1500 compared to the roughly 200 x 200 in the MTRX Studio, all due to the larger I/O capability of the MTRX. The MTRX is also capable of 384 kHz samplerate whereas the MTRX Studio "only" does 192 kHz. The MTRX also needs a bigger power supply, etc. etc. So there are lots of good reasons why the MTRX is more expensive than the MTRX Studio.

In terms of audio quality, you can see differences in the specifications between the two units. For example the dynamic range on the A/D converter is 123 dB on the MTRX vs. 120 dB on the MTRX Studio. The 123 dB on the MTRX is achieved by using stereo converter chips in "mono-mode" so we actually use 8 stereo converter chips on the 8 ch. A/D card. The A/D chips are followed by an FPGA which applies our own digital filtering. We have not used this (expensive!) trick on the MTRX Studio so that also explains some of the price difference.

So is there a sonic difference between the two? As the design of the A/D and D/A converters is different there will be a sonic difference, though in our opinion it is very small, and definitely so small that we do not mind being associated with it.
The bottom line is that if you want the "no compromise" sonic quality then the MTRX is the right choice, with the MTRX Studio coming close behind and offering more "bang for the buck" and a sound quality that we are not ashamed of.

I hope this answers your question, otherwise please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Jan Lykke
NTP Technology
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-11-2022, 01:43 PM

Jeff- thanks for your reply. I appreciate the insight and information. However- I was specifically looking for some advice regarding the workflow of sending a digital signal out of the MTRX Studio and into the AES input of a Genelec SAM subwoofer/maind setup. Although you didn't specifically mention that signal path, I believe the options you linked would be capable of that, correct?
Old 01-11-2022, 08:54 PM
Avid

Yes, correct. If you need to feed digital monitors via AES/EBU with MTRX Studio then it would be necessary to leverage a multichannel digital converter - either from ADAT or from the Dante outputs on the device.

Essentially, you would be building a Monitor Profile composed of multiple sources (DigiLiink / Pro Tools, Analog (Mic, DI, Line), Dante (DVS or other), ADAT...) which would feed an output for the group format you wish to work in -> Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, or even Atmos widths. Assuming a Dante <-> AES3 converter, the output for this Control Room monitor would be assigned to 8 channels of Dante, assuming a 7.1 setup. Dante from the MTRX Studio -> into the format converter would need to be patched via Audinate's Dante Controller application. From there, the AES3 feeds into your Genelecs. I would ensure that the chosen converter was also being appropriate fed common word clock from the MTRX Studio.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-14-2022, 02:33 AM

Given how often this comes up I am surprised the MTRX studio didn't come with 8 channels of AES (or 16 for Atmos), rather than ADAT IO.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 01-28-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Given how often this comes up I am surprised the MTRX studio didn't come with 8 channels of AES (or 16 for Atmos), rather than ADAT IO.

I find it a weird choice for a $5000 interface, particularly given how many post orientated peripherals/effects/monitoring systems/high-end preamps used AES as standard. It seems like ADAT has been entirely relegated to not much more than low to mid priced multichannel preamps.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.