Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2022, 09:30 PM

Default Interfaces considered a "step up" from the Avid I|O?

I've had the Avid HD I|O (w/ 8-channel A/D card added) for many years, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it -- it's clear and detailed and covers the sonic gamut rather well -- *however* I do feel that there's still room for improvement.

I've considered sending it away for the popular Black Lion upgrade, and perhaps that's ultimately the answer to the question I'm asking, but I'd also like to know if there are other ProTools-friendly interfaces that are clear upgrades.

I'd prefer not to get into something like an Antelope product which has a lot of connectivity issues, and a less-than-ideal routing matrix. Simple integration with PT is important. As is 16+ channels of input and a good amount of digital inputs.

Going into 2023, are there any obvious convertor upgrades to consider?
Old 09-06-2022, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Interfaces considered a "step up" from the Avid I|O?

MTRX is the obvious one to me... DAD quality and routing and monitoring flexibility. seems a whole step up vs throwing money at an old box.

Don't run Digilink myself. They souded great in demos. OTOH as much as I like shiny stuff, will it really make a difference? can you borrow/loan/trial stuff? To see?
Old 09-06-2022, 11:47 PM

I'm a big fan of Apogee Symphony II
Old 09-07-2022, 09:55 AM

#1 element is if you require Digilink. If that's what you mean by integration with PT. That's actually the only real integration possible, everything else works outside PT's realm. But it significantly narrows down the field of interfaces.

Does MTRX Studio have enough I/O for you? No AES but 16 analogue and 16 ADAT. Plus Dante.

IMO upgrading the HD IO is a waste. And that's nothing against Black Lion or the HD IO itself. It just doesn't make financial sense to me.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
#1 element is if you require Digilink. If that's what you mean by integration with PT. That's actually the only real integration possible, everything else works outside PT's realm. But it significantly narrows down the field of interfaces.

Does MTRX Studio have enough I/O for you? No AES but 16 analogue and 16 ADAT. Plus Dante.

IMO upgrading the HD IO is a waste. And that's nothing against Black Lion or the HD IO itself. It just doesn't make financial sense to me.
Digilink is what I meant, yes. No AES might be a dealbreaker. I'd have to see if there are alternate ways to deal with digital.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Digilink is what I meant, yes. No AES might be a dealbreaker. I'd have to see if there are alternate ways to deal with digital.
It was for me too.

I wrote this shortly after buying the MTRX back in 2020.
It is still one of the best purchases I've made.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...y-to-avid-mtrx

You *could* add a Rednet D16R to the MTRX Studio if you need AES, but I am still glad I went for the full fat MTRX.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 09-07-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I'm a big fan of Apogee Symphony II
Yes, a strong contender. A few friends have been happy with theirs.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Yes, a strong contender. A few friends have been happy with theirs.
Obviously the box needs HD option card, but as added bonus you can use it via TB with a laptop. And because it is a 32x32 box (depending on cards installed), it connects to hdn/hdx card via single cable.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
MTRX is the obvious one to me... DAD quality and routing and monitoring flexibility. seems a whole step up vs throwing money at an old box.

Don't run Digilink myself. They souded great in demos. OTOH as much as I like shiny stuff, will it really make a difference? can you borrow/loan/trial stuff? To see?
That was the obvious one to me as well but if memory serves it lacks the I/Os I'd need. I'll take another look.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Don't run Digilink myself. They souded great in demos. OTOH as much as I like shiny stuff, will it really make a difference?
In conversion quality it is pretty subtle against other pro level converters.

For me, the advantage to the MTRX is as a digital audio hub, esp for people who have lots and lots of channels in various formats.

Being able to aggregate dozens/hundreds of Dante, MADI, AES, Analogue channels was previously unheard of.

It is a great product but perhaps with a limited audience (post production, large audio facilities).

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting